No Zs as a limitation!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen it all today. 18 month old PIR done by NIC registered spark. For Zs values of circuits was written 'LIMS'. No Ze value.

Why was this we wondered? Coz there was no earth at the property of course! Tenant was a young mum with kiddie - disgraceful.

Supply shared with flat downstairs and earth had been cut. 1.5 hour job to reinstate to make it safe.

GRRRRR

:mad: SB

Sorry -had to get that off my chest.

Sponsored Links
your right sparky, im in training and looking to get approved via an organisation and it annoys me that people just cannot be arsed to do things properly, but i always have in any career ive done so i think it comes down to the personality of these people, whether fully qualified or a cowboy in any career or leisure activity they do they will do it half heartidly even if lives are at stake!!!!!

Its sad but some people dont give a damn or just are too damn slack to notice

I have seen things that will make your hair curl

Scott

From what you say it sounds like the previous spark could not work out that his Zs test was impossible because the earth was disconnected. Surely if he'd worked it out then he would have explained just how dangerous the setup was to the customer. If the remedial work was just a simple re-connection then I would do it for free as I wouldn't want to leave them with no earth!

Sponsored Links
have noticed various standards of work

Another thing is rogue customers, went to look at a landlord's flat. He wanted a new Cons unit. Told him would have to upgrade bonding, and ask local REC in to put a main isolator in.

Also said he would need to notify council and apply for permission to do works.

He refused, stating 'who's gonna know'. I've got another 8 flats and you've lost out on a bit of work.

I told him to look elsewhere, and like to do a job I do it right or walk away.

Also informed him that mandatory landlord registration is on the way and the council may be asking for an electrical check as a requirement.

Also told him he would have problems selling the flat- homebuyer reports will pick this up.

He refused, stating 'who's gonna know'

Just the sort of customer you don't want - he does not care whether the work will endanger your reputation let alone the safety of his tenants! Probably would have messed you about with payment using the promise of 'more work' as leverage! Let him get a cowboy in - these customers are great for keeping the cowboys busy, freeing up the better customers for proper sparks!

Did the cert have no mains earthing listed as a code 1 fault?? If so, i don't see a problem. A PIR is a PIR after all, not a fault finding and fixing exercise.

If it was not listed, I would be extremely angry!

seen many a minor works with Lims where IR readings should be. Is there anybody out there other than me that bothers??

There was no Ze value (of course) and he had put 'upgrade main earthing' as a code 2 but told the client that only code 1 things needed doing and of course how would she have known any different? An example of code 1 was 'cracked light switch"!

I've also seen a few IR's marked as LIMS - I guess if it's an old board it's a hassle to do but at least do a systems test P and N to cpc - it's better than nowt

Grr

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back