Noise coming from my Combi Boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Response 80 combi boiler. All the upstairs radiators have thermostatic valves, all the downstairs ones have normal valves. I don't have any water tanks.

When the central heating system turns on from cold, after approximately 25 - 30 minutes a noise starts coming from the boiler for about 30 seconds to a minute. It's quite loud and sounds like a humming noise or maybe a vibration or maybe something spinning that is off balance. The noise starts off low pitched and slowly increases in pitch until it stops. Once it's stopped, it doesn't come back again until the system has been turned off and cools down. It is as regular as clockwork though. The CH comes on twice a day and within 25 - 30 minutes of it coming on the noise comes and then goes again.

The noise reverberates around the house nicely and generally wakes me up - it's better than an alarm clock. I'm not all that concerned cos the boiler is working well other than the noise but I am getting bored with the early morning wake up call and I'm worried it's annoying my neighbour.

Any ideas? I do have British Gas central heating care. Is it worth calling them out. Will they be able to fix it?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning off the boiler just after it starts making its noise?

Sponsored Links
You could try some boiler scilencing chemical in the system and see if that improves things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back