Noise coming from newly installed water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum here so hopefully somebody will be able to give advice/solution to my problem.

In a nutshell, I've had a water tank installed in the loft and a power shower in the bathroom and it's creating a fair bit of noise. The pump is a salamander pump in case that's of any relevance.

When the shower is run the pump is very loud, obviously because it is pulling the water up to the tank in the loft. However, it can be heard downstairs in the living room to the point where you have to turn the television volume up. Is that just how loud the noise should be?

Also, after hot water has been run, I can hear the pipes all the way through the house and the only way I can stop it at the moment is to turn the heating, hot water and water tank off. It causes particular issues at night when trying to sleep.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Who fitted the new tank? you or a plumber? What type of noise can you hear from the tank/pipes? Booster pumps are quite noisy anyway.

Andy

Hi Andy

It was a plumber who fitted the booster and tank in the loft. Our main water tank is in a cupboard in a bedroom. Our boiler is in our out house.

It sounds like the water going through the pipes but it is relentless, particularly after hot water has been used. It makes a loud humming noise and it sounds like you can hear dripping noises in the pipes.

We did have problems with a drilling noise with the pipes/tank where it sounded like it was going to explode but this has been corrected and is no longer a problem.

Hope that helps.

First thing is did you test the booster when the plumber finished? Have you called the plumber and asked him? (as he knows what has been done)

Do you hear any noise from the pipe work when you use the bathroom basin? Any water noise from that is the cold water tank filling up from the mains. Is the loft pipe work secure? Has it been lagged? Thinking of the cold weather.

If possible can you post some pictures of the tank, booster and pipe work.

Andy

Sponsored Links
First thing is did you test the booster when the plumber finished? Have you called the plumber and asked him? (as he knows what has been done)

Do you hear any noise from the pipe work when you use the bathroom basin? Any water noise from that is the cold water tank filling up from the mains. Is the loft pipe work secure? Has it been lagged? Thinking of the cold weather.

If possible can you post some pictures of the tank, booster and pipe work.

Andy

Thanks again. I'll be able to post some pictures up tomorrow and will check the loft tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back