Noise complaint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody ever heard of a council sending out a letter like this after one weekend of work?
Neighbour was a complete pain from the second we got out the van. No noisy tools just a simple bit of roof work.

Attachments

• 68607707-1A50-4D06-B547-0027719A6909.jpeg
    68607707-1A50-4D06-B547-0027719A6909.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
I guess they take noise nuisance very seriously.

Our next door neighbours' son-in-law is in the trade and she is also extremely careful with money. Any work she has had done, would be completed in the evenings as a foreigner. From the moment you settle a tea time till about 9:30 pm. I applaud swift response to noisy unsociable neighbours. (y)

I would reply asking for specifics. They are technically advising you of the rules but not mentioning any breach.

what hours were you working?
My neighbours worked 7 days a week, didn’t notify me of party wall work And were building a boarded fence by torchlight at 10.00 at night. Council did sod all.

Sponsored Links
I’m not local to this area and agreed to do the job over 2 weekends for a friend. A friend that probably should have mentioned serious issues with this neighbour. (Who has dogs out barking until night)
9-4.30 Saturday
9-4 Sunday.
Another neighbour was out cutting wood with an electric saw for his extension, another gardening all day but how dare me be there…
The neighbour called the police as I apparently threatened her son, they turned up apologised and told me to carry on with what I was doing.

had some fruit cake neighbour come around and complain when I started my bike up out side my house on the road at 2 pm
on a saturday afternoon

said he was having his dinner ??

I said what , you eat with yer ears than :)

he got ar sy about the caper so I adopted the diplomatic response which seemed to work

told him to go and do one and if he did not clear off he would need a dentist :ROFLMAO:

never liked the bloke any way , nosy parker parish counseller , not there any more tf

I thought the rules were for a specific wattage if power tool only? Maybe different areas have different rules.

had some fruit cake neighbour come around and complain when I started my bike up out side my house on the road at 2 pm
on a saturday afternoon

said he was having his dinner ??

I said what , you eat with yer ears than :)

he got ar sy about the caper so I adopted the diplomatic response which seemed to work

told him to go and do one and if he did not clear off he would need a dentist :ROFLMAO:

never liked the bloke any way , nosy parker parish counseller , not there any more tf
Honestly I don’t understand some people
You might laugh but one of my neighbours is a local councillor and lovely. He’s already took a copy of this letter and wrote to the person who’s sent it asking for evidence etc

Such warning notices are usually used when they have either not collected evidence of a statutory nuisance or do not believe the noise met the definition of a statutory nuisance.

It does not appear to be a noise abatement notice in accordance with the legislation.

You don’t ask for evidence. You assert there were no works that breached the afore mentioned act and put them to proof if they disagree.

They have the power to impose restrictions on works so a polite approach might be better.

Last edited:
ISTR the noise act specifies that there should be no noise from 11pm until 7am.
However local rules may apply but imho they need to be legal and not just some old tosh made up on the spot.

The noise act also states that from time to time some noise may occur as work is done on the property and you just have to put up with it (or words to that effect).

Tell the moaning minnies to go do one, contact the council and specifically the one that wrote the letter and ask for specifics, also what association they have with the complainant as it seems very quick for a council (you usually have to keep a 2 week log) and stinks of sorting it out for a mate.

If it's over two weekends then enforcement will be tricky. One more weekend and it's done, 'Sorry Council I won't do it again'

Too many inconsiderate people out there who inflict their racket on others. Good that a council takes this problem seriously.

If people learnt to communicate with each other and give neighbours the consideration of advance warning of noise, it defuses problems before they start.

Disputes like this were easily curtailed when the police turned up with their chapter and verse thing in the past.
Now we trust to luck on whether your council views you as a 'racist' in some of our larger cities whether they move their arses or not.

Sponsored Links
Back