Noise in airing cupboard – water boiling in pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a fairly loud noise in my airing cupboard at or near the circulating pump. It’s like a trickling or crackling. The reason I think it might be water boiling is that I got it to stop yesterday by turning down the temp of the boiler from 75 to 65 but it’s back today. I had thought it might be that the pump was knackered but the sound doesn’t vary if I change the pump speed (though of course the pump might be knackered too).

There is no noise at the boiler itself. I think it may have made banging noises starting up recently but I can’t be sure as I was upstairs half asleep. The boiler (Vaillant Ecotec 418) seems reluctant to fire up as well, giving code S53 at startup which means 'water shortage'. It also seems to spend a lot of time in S7 'pump overrun'. The rads seem cooler than they should. I’m wondering if there’s a blockage somewhere.

Another reason I think there might be a blockage is that there was a horrible noise a couple of months ago and when the heating engineer came to do the annual service he noticed that the valve on the bypass was closed. Opening it stopped that noise. But I thought the bypass was only needed when all the TRVs were closed and they never are, which makes me think there isn’t free flow if the bypass is in use constantly.

Advice would be very much appreciated. I think I need to get an engineer in but I'm at work till Monday and I'd like to know if I should do anything urgently.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back