Noise in Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the ch comes on first thing in morning the bedroom rad starts making noise like as if water was boiling. The bottom of rad is lukewarm and top hot. This all started when boiler broke down. New Sunvic control was put on pipe to open and close when boiler comes on and off.
I have noticed that when ch switches off the rad in livingroom makes same noise. One more question can I do without the Sunvic valve and just keep valve for ch open all the time It is on thermostat

Sponsored Links
When the ch comes on first thing in morning the bedroom rad starts making noise like as if water was boiling. The bottom of rad is lukewarm and top hot. This all started when boiler broke down. New Sunvic control was put on pipe to open and close when boiler comes on and off.
I have noticed that when ch switches off the rad in livingroom makes same noise. One more question can I do without the Sunvic valve and just keep valve for ch open all the time It is on thermostat
We need some more info about your system.

Make and exact model of boiler will do for a start.

Presumably the Sunvic "control" and Sunvic "valve" are the same thing. Does it look like the left pic (3-ports)or the right (2-ports)?

View media item 5946 View media item 11762
Whne you say the Sunvic control was "new", do you mean it was a replacement for a broken one or an addition to the system? If an addition, did the engineer explain why he was fitting it?

When you say "it's on a thermostat" are you talking about a room thermostat or the boiler stat?

It is an oil fired boiler Warmflow. Valve 2 port. Sunvic was a replacement. Rads and hot water heated seperately. The hot water also has a Sunvic.
Thermostat is room one. thermostat on boiler as well it is set between 60-70

If it's a light chattering or clattering or tinkling noise it could be a blob of solder "dancing" in the water flow at the inlet end. Try turning the valve down a little. It worked for us.

Sponsored Links
It is more like water bubbling. Have tried turning radiator nearest to it off a bit and will see whats happens.

Can some one please answer this question for me: can I do without the Sunvic valve and just keep valve for ch open all the time It is on thermostat in room and also timer.

Can some one please answer this question for me: can I do without the Sunvic valve and just keep valve for ch open all the time It is on thermostat in room and also timer.
You have what is called an S Plan system. This has a valve to control the heating and a second valve to control the hot water.

The room thermostat controls the heating valve, which controls the boiler. The cylinder thermostat controls the HW valve, which also controls the boiler. This way you have completely independent control over the heating times/temperatures and over the HW times/temperatures.

If a valve is removed you would not get this independence and if it was locked open the boiler would run continuously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back