Noise when thermostrat kicks in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am posting a lot on here at the mo as hubby and I have just moved into new house! When our thermostat kicks in and the heating comes on, it makes a loud thunder like noise for a few seconds, is this normal or dodgy?!

Sponsored Links
Hi firstly check thats it the right type of valve that is a reversible type
if its the older type then it should be on the flow of the radiator, in any case try turning the locksheild valve down a bit this usually stops noisy t r v s

mick

no i'm not kidding! excuse my ignorance but we've never had central heating before, only electric. the noise doesn't come from the actual radiators, it's from the pipes upstairs that are connected to the hot water tank. only happens when the thermostat makes the heating come on - it does sound like it could be to do with a valve. is it a serious problem, should be get an expert round? or can we just put up with it?

Sponsored Links
just sounds like the pipes having flowing waterthrough them which makes them shudder to begin with.

Our kitchen tap makes a knocking noise

I wonder if it is air blowing through the pipes :confused:

position yourself, at intervals, by the boiler, the hot water cylinder, and the Feed and Expansion tank in the loft (if you have one) and try to identify where the noise is coming from.

You may be able to turn down the boiler heat knob so that you can tell if the noise is caused when the boiler heats up, or when the pump starts running.

When you have found the pump, see if the noise is different when you change pump speed. You will probably find a small plastic speed control knob on it marked 1,2,3

Also, bleed all the radiators until air stops coming out.

What colour is the water from the radiators and in the f&E tank (if any)?

Is theer mud at the bottom of the F&E?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back