Noises from pipes and tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having some thumping/clattering sounds from my airing cupboard (tope part ainly where the pipes go up into the loft) for a little while now (3 weeks approx.)

After enough of this I decided to investigate:-

I have 2 tanks in my loft, and a U shaped pipe go over each tank. The smaller tank, after removing the lid, I noticed that after my boiler is on, after a short time, water comes out of this pipe (v hot and condensation / steam seems to be in the tank). This kind of spurt lasts for a little bit, then stops. But then starts again after about 10 minutes, or less sometimes.

Is this the tank that supplies the boiler and radiators? If so has my boiler packed up or is it packing up? Or is there a blockage somewhere causing this water to come out of here....? Anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
Boiler stat has gone and the water is getting far too hot and boiling up, bet your rads feel red hot to the touch after they ahve been on about half hour .
What boiler do you have

Thank you for replying. Sorry for the delay was making dinner and washing up!!

Yes I understand the boiler stat may have gone, it makes sense I suppose. Is there anyone I can confirm this before getting it changed?

The boiler is Potterton Flamingo II RS50 if that helps. Pretty old but has lasted well.

For some reason some of our rads have never heated well-and they don't seem over hot to the touch to be honest, but there is steam coming from the tank and the water from the pipe is very very hot !

Sponsored Links
Stat is 20 quid and can be done diy. 2 push on wires, you also have another problem if you are not getting proper rad circulation probably could do with a flush

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back