Pipe that feeds large water tank in loft is leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my mother called me this evening to say the ceiling in the air cupboard had water marks and the pipe in the airing cupboard was leaking. I went into the loft and the pipe that feeds water to the large tank (when the ball valve lowers) is dripping at the eblow joint and thus onto the loft floor and through to the airing cupboard. There is actually 3 tanks in my mums loft this large tank a smaller one next to it and then an even smaller one above the large tank.

Fortunately there is a valve on the the pipe that is leaking, my question is obviously turning this valve to the off position will stop the larger tank being topped up and stop the drip from the elbow joint, now ive told my mum not to use anymore hot water tonight but i said cold if fine from the kitchen and use a kettle, but is my mum still able to have the heating on (its not a combi boiler as there is the large cylindrical tank in the air cupboard) as does this use the water from the large tank, im guessing having the heating on doesn't actually use an extra water that whats in the tank already right as it get pumped around the house and no extra water in needed?. I dont want to turn this valve off if it will cause bigger problems is the large tank runs dry!??

Hopefully a plumper is coming out tomorrow or Friday

Sponsored Links
Yes ,central heating can be used. If the tank in loft that you isolated feeds a hot water cylinder and possibly some cold taps ,they can be used ,but sparsely. Eventually the tank would be empty.
Kitchen cold tap is from mains ,so freely use that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back