NO HOT WATER STOPCOCK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change a hot tap washer. I can't find a stop cock after the tank to turn the hot water off. (Hose built 1971 3 bed semi) Do I have to drain the tank? It's a vented??? system. (gas fire heats water, tank in airing cupboard, big and little tank in loft). If I have to drain the tank does that mean the large tank in loft as well? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you could plug the outlet\feed to the cylinder from inside the big tank but under no circumstances plug the vent pipe as well !!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yes - usually there is not "hot" gate valve. The gate valve is on the cold feed to the hot tank. Turning this off will stop the hot water flowing.

If not in the airing cupboard, have you looked for the gate valve in the loft? - follow the pipes out of the bottom side of the big cold tank there should be a gate valve in each.
They may be hidden in insulation.

Found a tap on the pipe from the large loft tank to the bottom of the aiting cupboard tank. If I TURN THAT OFF AM i RIGHT IN ASSUMING I only have to drain the airing cupboard tank?

Turn that off and you shouldn't have to drain any off. The water should stop running straight away.

With respect, perhaps you do not fully understand how the system works.
When you open a hot tap, water flows from your hot water cylinder (in the airing cupboard) and it can only flow (with your system) if cold water, from the large tank in the loft, flows into the bottom of the hot cylinder, therebye pushing the hot water out of the top of the hot cylinder and on to the taps. As mentioned by others, turning off the valve, on the pipe from the large cold water tank, will keep the hot water in the cylinder so, no draining required on the cold or hot tanks.
As mentioned, don't plug any vent pipes. In fact, don't plug any pipes. With this valve turned off, any hot water tap can be dismantled and re-washered.
However, the cold taps are likely to be fed directly off the mains so, any work on these taps requires the main stopcock to be turned off.

The tap between the Loft tank and the airing cupboard tank dont work!!! Decided to change the taps not just the washers!! The next time i hear someone go on about the prices plumbers charge I'm gonna **** 'em! You guys deseve every penny. Upside down under the sink, can't see the cold tap cos of the half shelf and the overflow pipe, Damn cabinet digging in your shoulders etc. The main outside stopcock isn't cutting the flow completly so getting dripped on. The new taps wouldn't seal, so out with the sink, PTFE tape everything and at midnight...........SORTED. Except the sink drainpipes are now leaking. The blind one armed person that used a blunt hacksaw to fit those will get a **** as well. Hey ho not to worry. Thanks for all your advice lads, I've learnt a bit more thanks to you all. jacko.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back