noisy back boiler keeps me awake all night!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone shed some light on a problem i have. my neighbours back boiler keeps me up all night. its now 5.28 am..ive been up since 3am. the house is rented but i know the lanlord and ive asked him about the noise and he doesnt seem bothered he just said oh its an old back boiler thing.
it makes a knocking sound in fours..as in 1-2-3-4 knock-knock-knock-knock..over and over this normally stops after about an hour. but the other noise like now is a constant quieter knocking like something whirring away as its so fast..but it doesnt stop so in the dead of night its torture.Can anyone tell me why it does this? i imagine the bolier is ancient.Im a plasterer so was thinking of using sound block boards on the chimney breast but not sure if it will stop the sort of resonating sound? any ideas anyone> many thanks
ryan

Sponsored Links
My first question would be why is the boiler operating at all during the night?

Have you talked to the occupants? Are they from a VERY hot country?

If the noise is really bad you could complain to the local environmental health inspector.

However, there may be a problem with your health as the body is designed to sleep solidly when you have spent a hard day plastering and done a lot of physical work!

If you have a bed against the boiler wall then rearrange the room. Sleeping with an open window also raises the ambient noise level which has the effect of reducing the intrusion of noise from next door.

Tony

My first question would be why is the boiler operating at all during the night?

Have you talked to the occupants? Are they from a VERY hot country?

If the noise is really bad you could complain to the local environmental health inspector.

However, there may be a problem with your health as the body is designed to sleep solidly when you have spent a hard day plastering and done a lot of physical work!

If you have a bed against the boiler wall then rearrange the room. Sleeping with an open window also raises the ambient noise level which has the effect of reducing the intrusion of noise from next door.

Tony
wow! what a good reply. well your first question was right. i tried to sleep this morning again but couldnt so i rang the landlord who rents the house out. turns out she doesnt know how to work the timer so it comes on whenever it was last set which just happens to be 3am. an engineer has been out a has said, as it is working its brains out all night and periodicalliy through the day with no water being drawn from it is over heating ?? sound right? dunno but if he sets the timer for her it can bang all it wants from morning till midnight for all i care...its so wierd the reply ,it was right on the button ..i do have a health problem at the moment i tore a tendon in my pelvis nearly a year ago doing sand and cement damp courses all day long and i havent slept well since or been back to work.. :) :cry: and our bed is against their boiler wall

the noise is probably because the old boiler is scaled up and as it gets hot the scale exspands and becomes very noisey tell your neighbours to turn off the boiler overnight as it is the summer and they have probably left the hot water on 24 hours ,the cure is maybe another boiler but they can try putting something like sentinel noise reducer in the system this may help to dispose the scale.good luck.

Sponsored Links
Wow! I gave a reply in the generality trying to cover all aspects and it seems that I was spot on particularly in relation to your health!

I cannot do much about your tendon but retiming the boiler will probably solve the boiler nightime noise problems.

As far as sleep is concerned try to take as much exercise as you can during the day. A very good trick is to go for a 30-40 minute walk before sleeping regardless of the weather. It relaxes the mind and gives your body exercise to help promote the sleep relaxation.

Shouldn't you be looking for a light or desk job?

Tony

as for the desk job ..no one will have an ex-tradesman for a desk job they're too suspicious.. they all think plastering means youre set for life ..they dont realise that the moneys crap..and it hurts.morrisons wouldnt even process my application!. thanks very much for the tech advice and healthy living tips much appreiciated, probs be back in touch shortly with something else ridiculous ..thanks again
ryan

as for the desk job ..no one will have an ex-tradesman for a desk job they're too suspicious..
ryan

I think thats rubbish!

Obviously I dont know what you can and cannot do but have you tried B&Q and builders merchants where your past knowledge and skill can be so useful?

There are lots of telephone enquiry jobs with merchants etc.

There are also jobs like school caretakers and janitors and that kind of thing which for some reason they dont fill so easily.

I dont know if you are classed as disabled but if you were then big firms want disabled people to fill their employment quota but there are not enough genuine disabled people who really want to do a job.

Tony

If you aren't sleeping, ask your doctor to send you for a test. I was waking up 60 times in the few hours I was "asleep".

suppose i could go to the doctor but its taken them a year and lots of scans and needles in the groin and 1 year to find out what causes the pain..i have little faith in them. i might sleep better if i had a job to tire me out. B&Q have said they have no vacancies which i think is bull and the disabled thing seems to work against me a think..its a shame coz i love plastering

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back