Noisy ceiling switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replaced & relocated 1-way ceiling switch as part of bathroom refurb. It's VERY LOUD compared to the old one. Any suggestions for a brand that I can substitute? Thanks

Sponsored Links
in what way can a switch be loud?

Explain more and you might get a better answer!

Cheers.

See what you mean . . . when I operate the switch it makes an loud, echoing clunk. It's a mechanical sound. I've tried putting a soft gasket between it and the ceiling but that hasn't helped. It seems that the cover amplifies the sound in some way. The old switch was a 1950's cone shaped job and we never noticed it. Probs now disturbing sleepers when using the light. Small thing but socially massive to the household!

Sponsored Links
Most ceiling switches are loud as the plasterboard/void combination amplify the switching noise.

Best to replace with a standard wall mounted switch outside the bathroom.

I'm with the original question from routabout here having recently changed a 16 year old quite, almost silent switch to a new very noisy one. It is actually the spring loaded mechanism that is very loud irrespective of wether it is fixed to a hollow ceiling or not i.e. just as loud when operated in your hand. So back to the original question; Does anyone know of a make of ceiling switch which has a quiet spring loaded switch mechanism.
Correct me if I'm wrong routabout.....

It's screwed through plasterboard, plugwash, and is in the angle of joist & noggin with just enough gap for the cable so about 2/3 is under solid wood. I don't think the siting is the problem. The original was fitted similarly but on a different joist. It's a cheap MK switch, will happily upgrade to solve the problem.

Bathjobby, you're on the money. My reply to plugwash crossed with yours.

I know what the OP meant, we have a pullswitch that is very quiet, and the string doesn't pull down very much to operate the switch, but you have to pull hard on it. Quiet click and the lights are on.

I have used the ones that i think are like this guy's new switch, where you have to pull the string about half an inch to turn the light on and it emits 2 clicks each time (clunk click), and they are louder, presumably because the mechanism is larger and moves further?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back