Noisy central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an indirect, vented heating system that makes too much noise. The noise could almost be described as a whoosing or like a small waterfall(!) and apears to be coming from the loft or airing cupboard pipework.
I read somewhere that the switch on the circ pump may be set to high (its set on number 3, which is the highest setting) but i haven't touched this i thought this would all be set when the system was commissioned and balanced.
Any ideas would be apreciated, if you need more details on my system to aid diagnosis, let me know.

Happy new year!

Sponsored Links
What exactly is in your airing cupboard? For example, an air eliminator?

If you describe the components that you have then we might have an idea about the noise.

Also, what maintenance has been done on the system? And was a chemical inhibitor added after the last time it was drained?

In the meantime, try turning down the speed of the pump. If it goes quiet and all your rads keep working, then the problem is solved.

Air eliminator... not sure, what does one look like and where will it be located?!!
We've only just moved in but the system was subject to british gas heating cover, so i can't comment on what maintenance was done and what was added in the way of inhibitors.
The components i can identify are: mid position actuator below the 3 speed pump, pipework (obviously!) and the cylinder, glow worm conventional boiler in the kitchen. What else do you need to know?
The noise is more apparent when the system is up to temp, and is definitely a whooshing/rushing water sound. I'll try the switch in a minute as the system is on now
Cheers for your help.

Try checking the f and e tank that fills the radiators up incase the ball valve is stuck this could be why you have air problems ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Will do.
When the CH is on, what level should i expect to see in the F+E tank?

The water level should be about half way, but try pushing the ballvalve down to see if its stuck.

billington said:
The water level should be about half way, but try pushing the ballvalve down to see if its stuck.

Checked this, the ball valve is fine and operates correctly, and the F&E tank is about half full.
I've switched the circ pump onto number 2, istead of 3. What impact will this have on the system? I assuem the rads will take slightly longer to heat up, but will it affect the boiler?

By turning the pump speed down you might find that the last few radiators on the circuit might strugle to heat up, this depends on the desighn of the system and which Boiler you have. You might find by turning the pump speed down it could possibly stop any pumping over into the F and E tank which in turn would cause air proplems. Check to see if this happens on the initial start of the pump, and the Expansion pipe that loops over the tank should be at least 18" above the water level. ;) ;)

I'll keep my eye on it and if i have problems, i'll call the experts in to sort it.
Cheers for your help...any other gems, let me know :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back