noisy check valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have just installed a mixer tap. The hot is feed by low pressure gravity system (head of 6m) and the cold from mains. Despite the pressure differences the tap works fine. However I was concerned about the cold running up the hot pipe so I fitted a single check valve. The issus is that when the hot tap is just on - there is a vibration from the check valve (I assume the valve is rapidly opening a closing) - Is there any way around this - eg a low pressure/more sensitive valve?

Appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Thats unusual but as you suggest another valve might not make the noise.

Its generally bad practice to have unbalanced supplies though!

A pressure reducing valve on the cold set at close to the static head of the hot will usually work wonders.

Tony

Thanks Tony - so step one - I shall try another check valve.

Unfortanely the whole house has unbalnced supplies as the cold is direct to every outlet.

Sorry, I should have said another design of check valve.

With a plastic plunger as they are lighter ( although few domestic valves would usually be found with brass plungers ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks.

I read somwhere about taking out the spring - have you done that before?

It is unusual for the hot and cold to mix within a mixer tap as as they usually have a fluted spout to prevent this, so that the water only mixes as it leaves the spout. Are you sure that you have installed the check valve the correct way round?.

I have the valve in the correct way, I understood that the mixing takes places within the tap, in a modern tap, and that creates the risk of cold flowing up the hot. I guess I could fit a PRV to the cold and then take out the check valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back