Noisy Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Potterton gas boiler - installed only 6 months ago. It has started making a very loud noise when it turns itself on (its programmed to come on automatically with the timer), but makes no noise when it turns itself off.

The noise also starts when the hot tap in the kitchen is turned on, but does not affect the heating or hot water temperature.

A noise also comes from most of the raditators when the heating turns on, but not all of them.

What is causing the noise and how can it be fixed?

Sponsored Links
very loud, like a jumbo jet taking off. Lasts for about 5-10minutes then stops and the central heating works normally.

with the hot water tap in the kitchen when its turned on a similar type noise but not as loud as the when the central heating comes on, stops when hot water tap is turned on.

Could it be an airlock in the system?

i meant stops when cold water tap is turned on as well

Sponsored Links
Hi - I have a C&M boiler that is doing the same thing it is nearly a year old has anyone any advice??

davewigan said:
Hi - I have a C&M boiler that is doing the same thing it is nearly a year old has anyone any advice??

I have experienced exactly the same problem that was cured by draining the system, refilling using a system cleansing agent which was left in for a week, draining and refilling using a corrosion inhibitor.

Total cost no more than £20.00 if you shop around for the products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back