Noisy downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small problem with one of our drainage downpipes at the side of the house. After it has been raining we sometimes hear a knocking/tapping noise from inside the house for an hour or two afterwards.

When I go outside the noise is coming from the guttering downpipe, and is basically individual drops of water dropping onto the bottom of the drain pipe at the bottom where it curves. I'm amazed it is as loud as it is in the house, but it is!

I've sprayed a hose down it from the roof and it doesn't seem to be blocked. If I spray water on the roof above one of our other downpipes it seems to flow down the sides of the downpipe, but the one causing the problems it seems to drip right down from the top to the bottom. Other that that I can see no differences.

Anyone any ideas - its next to our bedroom and driving us mad!
Thanks,
P.S. They are plastic pipes

Sponsored Links
Hang a length of chain down the pipe, doesn't have to be big links, easily available from the DIY stores

Thanks. But now I'm very confused...
What does the chain do? I'd have thought it would be more likely to rattle and cause noise?

Or rope, it like gives the water something to cling to and travel down, almost slows the water down yet carrying it through the pipe quickly.

That is right aint it roof? :oops:

Sponsored Links
That's right.

I've even seen where a chain has been used withuot the downpipe, looks very unusual but it works

Excellent. You learn something every day. Will have a go with a home-made chain and hanger and see if it makes a difference.

Out of interest, is this a commong problem? As I said I was amazed we could hear dripping water this loud through a solid brick wall? Is there anything underlying that could be wrong, or am I just worrying too much.

Thanks all (esp roofer) for your help

kevin_robson said:
Excellent. You learn something every day. Will have a go with a home-made chain and hanger and see if it makes a difference.

Out of interest, is this a commong problem? As I said I was amazed we could hear dripping water this loud through a solid brick wall? Is there anything underlying that could be wrong, or am I just worrying too much.

Thanks all (esp roofer) for your help

The problem is once you've heared the dripping you sit there listening for the next drip, bit like the chinese water torture :LOL:

bikerm4 said:
The problem is once you've heared the dripping you sit there listening for the next drip, bit like the chinese water torture :LOL:
In that case, take the downpipe away and leave the chains there instead :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back