Noisy Oil Boiler and problem with pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise me please.
I have an oil fired Camray Quartet boiler and Grundfos pump both about 10 years old. Recently first thing in the morning when the boiler first fires up (I don't run it overnight from 10 till 7) it's very noisy. I'd call it a roaring sound.
It gradually diminishes over say 30 minutes as the system heats up. I've also had problems with my pump being randomly very noisy (rattling loud whiring noise). This usually but not always happens when starting up again during the whole day and it's even seized up a couple of times which I've cured by hitting it with a hammer :). I think it's worse when cold.

Do you think these problems are linked? Is there something I can attempt DIY. I know how to drain a system etc.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
If the isolator valves on each side of the pump are working and can be turned, the job is fairly simple so long as you have big spanners...just replace like for like with the pump if possible - and certainly size wise.
John :)

Thanks for the prompt reply.
In fact I already bought a replacement pump which I was going to attempt myself.
I then realized neither myself or my neighbours had large enough spanners and when I had a quick look to see how much the spanners were to buy it seemed better to just to maybe call someone out.

How much should these spanners cost?

Where's the cheapest place to buy them and what types are best for this job?

I need two spanners is that right?

(The valves do turn) The other problem I had was the pump has been fitted vertically right up against the wall and to the left I have a door frame.
It looks like the airing cupboard door frame may well have been fitted after the pump :( but I guess I can sort something out there.

So you think it's just a faulty pump and not connected to my noisy boiler which is a seperate issue?

Sponsored Links
Certainly if your circulating pump is noisy then I would suspect it has seen better days (there could be dirt in the system too). If it was mine I'd go for a replacement, which should come with new fibre washers.
Regarding the spanners, you'll need a large adjustable one, and a firm grip on the pump and surrounding pipework so you don't get any twisting....Machine Mart can sort you here.
I'm afraid I can't comment on your burner noise from start up...maybe its just the circulating pump all along?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back