Noisy pipes when toilet filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions please?

When we flush our upstairs en-suite toilet and it starts to refill, there is a horrible noise which appears to be coming from the pipes hidden behind the tiled box section in the bathroom which runs through the bedroom next door. The noise stops once the toilet has refilled, but the only way we can get the noise to stop prior to this is by turning on the cold tap in the wash basin.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Bob4u50

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a mains fed cistern. Does the cold water tap have to run all the time the cistern is filling to stop the noise? If it doesn't then maybe you can fix it by fitting an automatic air vent at the top of the pipe just before it goes into the cistern. If it does, then you need to fit a flow regulator. These are made by Reliance Water Controls amongst others and are described as "Access water control valves" and cost £10 to £15. They are available with several preset flow rates.

At last someone who has a similiar problem. Both my en-suite toilet and bathroom toilets upstairs make a loud high pressure filling noise after flushing. It is very annoying as it can also be heard very clearly from the room below the ensuite. Can you tell me if the problem is now cured following Oilmans advice. If so were the flow regulators difficult to install?

Much appreciated.

raithman.

thanks.
Bob4u50 said:
Any suggestions please?

When we flush our upstairs en-suite toilet and it starts to refill, there is a horrible noise which appears to be coming from the pipes hidden behind the tiled box section in the bathroom which runs through the bedroom next door. The noise stops once the toilet has refilled, but the only way we can get the noise to stop prior to this is by turning on the cold tap in the wash basin.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Bob4u50

Sponsored Links
i have the same problem with my toilet - although loud, the noise is not really an issue, but when i changed my bathroom, i replaced the plumbing all the way up to the toilet (toilet is in seperate room)with the hope of silencing it - no luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back