Noisy towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had a new central heating system installed along with a new bathroom suite including a new towel rail. When the heating comes on, the towel rail make a clicking noise whilst heating up and cooking down. Is there anyway I can eliminate this as it is quite noisy when the heating comes on in the night.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you be specific about where the tapping is coming from?
Do you have a TRV fitted to the towel rail feed?
If a TRV is fitted, is it an old TRV from an old rad?
Hows the pipework supported under the floor boards?
How is the rad connected to the wall?

This may be a few things: -

Faulty TRV (if fitted)
Pipework touching when expanding and contracting.
Fittings used to mount the towel rail to the wall are jumping when the rad heats up and cools down. (although not very common)

Can you be specific about where the tapping is coming from?
Do you have a TRV fitted to the towel rail feed?
If a TRV is fitted, is it an old TRV from an old rad?
Hows the pipework supported under the floor boards?
How is the rad connected to the wall?

This may be a few things: -

Faulty TRV (if fitted)
Pipework touching when expanding and contracting.
Fittings used to mount the towel rail to the wall are jumping when the rad heats up and cools down. (although not very common)

Hi,

Yes I do I have a TRV fitted. New TRV and new rad.
Pipework under floorboards.
Rad is screwed to wall through tiles.
The sound is coming from the pipes halfway up. The rad can also be switched to an electric. Could it be the element inside?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can get at the pipework, see if they rub at any point & try and put some soft packing in between them, this may solve your issue.

Hopefully some of the other guys have some ideas.

Not sure about the element I'm afraid, I have only worked on normal flow and return towel rads. Electrickery and me don't get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back