noisy & vibrating water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

At my brother's house, there is an downstairs loo, recently once you flush the loo and the cistern is filling/refilling up the water pipe has started making noise and "vibrating"/shaking, is this due to air getting into the system/water hammer issue? How can I check where/work out where the air is getting in, whether is it in the toilet cistern or elsewhere please?
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Not sure, they are under the floor boards. They have only recently in the last 3 or 4 weeks started doing this.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No i don't think so. It is only when flushing the downstairs loo and it is refilling that it makes this noise/vibrating pipe(s)

No i don't think so. It is only when flushing the downstairs loo and it is refilling that it makes this noise/vibrating pipe(s)
Probably that valve that is the issue, turn the flow down if it has a valve below the cistern and see if it makes any difference.

thanks, will check and try slowing down the flow of refiling - just to add that it makes the noise/vibrating when it comes towards the end of filling up if I remember correctly. I will head there tonight and check

Does it run off mains or stored water?

If its the main, then the ball valve needed a restrictor in it

It runs off mains water, irritatingly it did not do it today, when I popped around after work. Tried flushing the look 3 or 4 times but no luck getting it to make the noises and vibrating pipe, but i was told it is worse in the morning(s). There is no valve to slow down the flow of water to the cistern but it is not exactly the fastest filling cistern

Get some one to remove the cistern cover to see what type of filling, either the ball cock type or the fast fill, (below).
1715713354693.png

it is an old style one - ball cock type similiar to this one (copied from someone else's post)

There's a diaphragm in these that presses up against the filling nozzle, maybe worth renewing this or the whole ballcock assembly, they are not very expensive.
1715714660446.png

Thanks will looking into it, next time I go around. I remember I had a issue my toilet flushing a while ago and I tried removing and cleaning that valve which resolved the issue but that was not a ball cock type one so will need to workout the easiest way to locate the location and how to remove it. I am guessing it will be a 30mm type/size one???

Last edited:
Get a photo of the actual installation, the diaphragm is located at the blue arrow, mightn't be the easiest to open especially if its been installed for years, I would suggest just renewing the whole ballcock assy by (after isolating the mains) opening at the green arrow. (this is mine)

Attachments

• Toilet Cistern Filling.jpg
    Toilet Cistern Filling.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 12

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back