Noisy water tank fill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Keen diyer, been surfing the threads for a while now re general heating issues etc.

I hope you can help with this issue?

Recently we had an issue with our new Aqualisa Axis shower running out of water. The plumber diagnosed that the cold water tank in the loft was not filling quick enough. He replaced the whole ball cock mechanism with a new one (Pegler Prestex Part 2) i think. The old washer/diaphram I could see in the loft afterwards.

Since then, when the tank is filling after running a bath, shower or hot water there is a whistling / high pitched noise from the valve that reverbs through the pipes. Reading old threads you would probably have suggested new parts, but as these are new, what is the issue?

I do not know if we have low or high pressure water.

Is it that the plumber has fitted a high pressure valve as I understand there are often two plastic valves that can be fitted? If so, can I get another type of valve from a plumbers merchant?

Thanks Don

Sponsored Links
If it's fed off the mains it'll generally be classed as high pressure, and you'll need a high pressure restrictor in the ball valve (normally this is standard). Alternatively fit a side entry Fluidmaster Pro, available from City Plumbing

Thanks muggles!

I presume mine is mains fed. I can't remember it making a noise before with the old filler, but since he fitted the new TRVs there have been a LOT of strange noises going on! That is why I think it has the wrong valve in it.

Am trying to sort things one by one!

Had a look at that site, Is that a toilet cistern filler?

It's a different type of ball valve, it can be used in a toilet cistern, but equally it can be used in a loft tank, either way it'll be quieter than what you have now.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

you would probably have suggested new parts, but as these are new, what is the issue?

as I understand there are often two plastic valves that can be fitted? If so, can I get another type of valve from a plumbers merchant?

Thanks Don
Sods Law - and loose pipes pre - existing :idea: You don`t want a valve with a plastic thread in a loft where you can`t see it on mains pressure - it might leak or even break off - :eek:

Sorry Nige, when i said valves I meant seats. I didn't know what the correct term was for the high pressure / low pressure versions of the seat inside the brass valve.

Yeah, for some reason, the idea of a plastic valve in the loft is worrying :confused:
but i suppose there is always the overflow for protection.

Had a look at Focus, Plumb centre and our local MKM today but no-one seemed to sell the two seats separate. I presume it has a high pressure one fitted, I will have a look and take it apart later to check it hasn't got any muck in!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back