Non Compliant Installation - who puts it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Had a new condenser boiler fitted in 2014, another plumber came to look at it last week and has said it is not a compliant install due to flue location.

According to the second plumber, the whole boiler will need relocating entirely or a costly flue extender put into the roof. Original installer is coming back to look at it shortly.

Question is - who foots the bill to make it compliant? given that if it was done properly initially, the extra flue extension cost would have been factored into the overall price?

Many Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would argue that the original installer needs to put it right. Don't assume the extra flue was factored in though.

A picture might help.

Thanks for the comments, it’s non-compliant as the flu is placed directly on the Boundary wall I’ve checked it with gas safe: their technical guy says it definitely not compliant by the description I’ve given. It needs work doing because of putting an extension over the top of the boiler and the pipework needs re-routing.

Thanks for the comments, it’s non-compliant as the flu is placed directly on the Boundary wall I’ve checked it with gas safe: their technical guy says it definitely not compliant by the description I’ve given. It needs work doing because of putting an extension over the top of the boiler and the pipework needs re-routing.

In the direction towards the neighbour? ie flue 90 degrees to the boundary. If so, doesnt need to be 1.8m away?

Yes the flue is 90 degrees to the boundary and emits directly onto next doors land as it emerges out of the garage wall which is the boundary

57E93D85-DD8C-4B05-8AC3-95431E9F4D97.jpeg

Thanks Dan, my question is who should foot the bill? Is th original installer obliged to sort it for free or can he wash his hands of it and leave it for me to find another plumber to pay to sort it out?

If I I’ve paid for a gas safe install and it’s not compliant, what are my options?

I would say that he should fit it foc, but have the right to charge for the materials

But consider the we have only your side if the story and have not seen the original estimate or discussions.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, my question is who should foot the bill? Is th original installer obliged to sort it for free or can he wash his hands of it and leave it for me to find another plumber to pay to sort it out?

If I I’ve paid for a gas safe install and it’s not compliant, what are my options?
Gas Safe offer free of charge site inspections. Call them out and see what they say about it

Gas safe will make him make it compliant at full cost to him , not your fault he didnt do it right. Its a chance some take with boundaries that can come back and bite them

Thanks all for your comments, original installer is coming round next week so we’ll see what he says. I’ll call in gas safe if needed. Good to know.

Cheers
Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back