non existent hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched through all the posts and can't find an answer to my query.

My daughter has a small flat. Her cold water in bathroom and kitchen are fine, but the hot water just trickles. It's been like this since she bought the flat a year ago!

She has asked her neighbours in identical flats and they have no problems. A plumber has told her to get a pump, but we don't believe it should need it as her neighbours don't have pumps. She is also worried about the noise of a pump as it's such a small flat.

Any suggestions please :cry:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
What kind of taps does she have?

The kitchen tap is a mixer. Bathroom sink is two separate taps. Can't remember what the bath taps are :oops: They are not modern, high tech taps!

We tried the blowing method in case there was an airlock but it didn't help.

the blowing method
Did you try mains water? Washing machine taps can be connected together with one hose..
Also, the taps themselves can be blocked, sometimes where the pipe connector is.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
the blowing method
Did you try mains water? Washing machine taps can be connected together with one hose..
Also, the taps themselves can be blocked, sometimes where the pipe connector is.
The mains water runs fine.
Her washing machine seems ok, I'm presuming that is just cold fill from the mains, so has never caused a problem.
I'll get her to look at the taps, although isn't it a little odd that it would be all the hot taps?

Thank you for your help so far :)

alifrank1 said:
The kitchen tap is a mixer.
Two-hole deck mixer, or one-hole monobloc?

Bathroom sink is two separate taps.
You have to start the investigation somewhere, and I'd start by servicing the basin taps.

Can't remember what the bath taps are :oops: They are not modern, high tech taps!
There are all kinds of causes of blockages. I once removed the headwork from an ordinary bath hot tap and found an entire Twix wrapper inside the pipework. I spent a few minutes failing to find a hidden camera, then showed the customer.

We tried the blowing method in case there was an airlock but it didn't help.
I have idea what the "blowing method" is. Assuming that it's not just a sexual technique, it sounds as though it would introduce more air. :confused:

Softus said:
Can't remember what the bath taps are :oops: They are not modern, high tech taps!
There are all kinds of causes of blockages. I once removed the headwork from an ordinary bath hot tap and found an entire Twix wrapper inside the pipework. I spent a few minutes failing to find a hidden camera, then showed the customer.

lol

other things you can try before taking taps apart are turning off the mains and running all the hot taps dry and turn the mains back on.

also try blowing it to the hot water tank expansion pipe....doesnt often work but the three times it has for me were handy.

you dont mention what kind of cylinder and feed tank she has....how high is is the feed tank above the cylinder?

More questions:-
Does the flow at the taps start off faster when the tap is first opened then slow to a trickle, or does it only trickle all the time?
Are there service valves under the taps?
Are they fully opened?
Does the system have a hot water cylinder fed from a seperate storage tank?
Is there a valve on the cold feed to the cylinder? Does it work? Is it fully opened?
If the system is old, is everything bunged up with lime scale?

And you've looked in the cold tank for traces of drowned mouse or bird clogging the pipe?

Blimey gentlemen! You're certainly going to get us working for our money ;)

ok, here goes with a few answers:
Softus, 1. I think it's a one hole monobloc. I can get over there at the weekend and have a look. 2. Will also look at the basin taps in case there's any little presents inside them. 3. Don't do sex!!

Nickso, we'll try your first and second suggestions as well. As for the tanks, not very high as it's a flat, but saying that, everyone else has the same and they don't have problems. We don't expect the pressure to be powerful, but will be happy if the water runs normally.

TicklyT, no, the flow doesn't start fast, it trickles the whole time. I'll have a look re: service valves - good point! Will take a list of your checkpoints with me at weekend to try!

JohnD, ooops, never thought of that!!

Thank you all for the replies. If you can think of anything else, please let me know and I'll go through the list at the weekend and get back to you when we've looked :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back