Non-flushing Dudley siphon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone has any tips re this problematic Dudley siphon ‘11’ (2-part) that is failing to flush.

I expected to find that the membrane would be torn but on inspection it just appeared to be curled upwards slightly towards the top of the siphon. So I removed it, turned it up the other way and reattached it to the flush chamber. I allowed the cistern to fill to the max level and tried to flush but, really, to no effect. I noticed that there was no washer between where the two siphon parts connect so I tried wrapping a few layers of PTFE around the top of the joint to make it as air-tight as possible. But still this gave no joy. I scrutinised said siphon closely but there are certainly no splits or imperfection in the plastic. I have managed to find a washer (taken from another 2-part Dudley siphon) shown in the middle photo that I hope will do the trick and will return to this tomorrow.

Any comments of advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean o-ring when you say washer?
Make sure you lubricate the o-ring on assembly (soap will do if you don't have silicone grease) to effect a good seal. Remember, this is a syphon, air getting sucked in will stop it working.

Yes, sorry, I do mean o-ring. That’s a good point about silicon grease so I will take a tub with me. What may be the problem is that the two parts of the Dudley siphon are held together by a yellow pin and this may be less effective in achieving a good tight seal (when a bit old) rather than the types which have a screwed thread. Thanks, M'sM.

Sponsored Links
What may be the problem is that the two parts of the Dudley siphon are held together by a yellow pin and this may be less effective in achieving a good tight seal (when a bit old) rather than the types which have a screwed thread

No, the o-ring doesn't have to be clamped hard to form a seal, it merely has to be the right size and not distorted. So make sure the mating surfaces are clean, and there is a small resistance felt when assembling the lubed part. The pin does not have to be tight, just tight enough that it doesn't fall out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back