Non-Maintained emergency light kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone aware of a non-maintained emergency light kit to fit existing lights?

The setup i have is as follows:

I have a group of LED Spot lights, of which i want to convert 1 (at the bottom of the stairs) to be a non maintained emergency light, such that for normal use it would light up along with the rest of the group, and if power is lost, the single light will power from the emergency light kit.

The existing light has Live, Neutral and Switched Live (as well as a separate cable for test switch) but i can only find maintained lights or non maintained but are built into an existing light.

I was going to get the AU-MDEM3A, until i realized its maintained only!

Any ideas? Knightsbridge seem to do something similar but their tech support wont give me any info as I'm not using one of their fittings ( will this work with a standard GU10 LED as it seems to indicate i need a driver?), CEF only seem to have for tube lights, and TLC have a kit listed in their non maintained sub category, but it is actually maintained!

Alternative will be that i take apart a non maintained and make it work, or have no emergency light. Note that this is for my own comfort rather then a requirement for any form of regs so not essential...

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
I have a group of LED Spot lights, of which i want to convert 1 (at the bottom of the stairs) to be a non maintained emergency light, such that for normal use it would light up along with the rest of the group, and if power is lost, the single light will power from the emergency light kit.
That's maintained, not non-maintained.

Sponsored Links
You use a MAINTAINED that way it can still be used as a normal light to go on off, with conversion, packs they dont stay on 24 hour like a normal Maintained fitting, they have seperate Switched and nonswitched terminals, of course you can link the terminals if for some reason you did want it lit 24 hour.

Your unlikely to find one to run a GU10, reason being, the packs are designed for 1 hour or 3hour, so to conform the battery would be massive, some of the 12volt 3hour ones are size of car batteries.
If your ok with 12 volt halogen then get whats known as a SNAKE PACK, this runs a 12 volt 20 watt lamp at 6volt at a lower wattage usually for 1 hour, 3 hour ones are available but take, fire alarm batteries and quite expensive.
You can also get small led standalone packs that are small and discrete, and you just site were needed and leave your existing lights as they are,

I used this range of downlights in my house with a fitting converted with the emergency gear, I used the large 9Ah battery packs which last for many hours. The current emergency is above the stairs and I'll add another when I do the hall downstairs, this will illuminate the front door and consumer unit.

Thats another option, change the fitting,
What you will find as in the ones linked above, the leds are not actually run at 240v like your Gu10 leds, they run at a much lower voltage from the driver, typically between 12 and 60 volt often DC
The emergency pack when wired in never does output 240volt, as you found out.
what it has is an internal relay.
This isolates the driver supply and cuts the driver output wires to the lamp upon power failure, it then puts a lower voltage from the internal inverter, generated from the batteries, direct to the lamp.

Its the same principle in nearly all emergency fittings, even the fleurescent ones, none power the 240v ballast/choke, they apply a generated output direct to the tube ends, totally bypassing the ballast/choke.
In addition nowadays, one pole of the relay shuts off the power line to the driver/ballast to prevent the driver/ballast sensing no lamp connected on power reinstatement, from shuting down, that one pole has a second or so delay before closing, after the other poles have reconnected the lamp leads.

Thanks for the responses, and apologies -i wanted the idea of non-maintained (ie not on all the time) but now realise that its actually maintained i want, with the device being capable of switching the light seperatly.
Works for LED GU10's which makes it ideal for my need - ie can use the same fixing and lamps as the rest of the hall way (wife is a bit fussy that way!).

Thanks for the responses and correction of maintained/non-maintained.

Good find.
Must say i have never ever seen one that works like that
Let us know how it performs

I think I may be needing one too, as I want to convert the LED downlight closest to the door in the hallway to an emergency type.

That thing is nearly a metre long though, what the hell must be in there?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back