Non-Return Valves on domestic appliances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been experiencing distasteful high bleach/chlorine smelling water for a few days. I assumed the water co had been doing something to the water works or pipelines.

They say no and do I have NRV's fitted to the dishwasher and washing m/c?

Is this normal as I've never seen them fitted? (I know there should be double nrv's on hosepipes)

Thanks for any views on this.

Sponsored Links
I believe washers/ dishwashers have built in NRVs. I would post on the appliances forum with your make and model.

Will do.

I've confirmed with the manufacturer that it has anti-syphon and backflow protection to some Euro Standard or other.

The solenoid valves will create a non return effect.

In addition the water enters through an air gap as additional protection.

But mainly the pressure of the mains water will ensure it only goes into the machine.

But how are you measuring chlorine in your water?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I haven't yet tested it yet but it's like drinking tea made from hot swimming pool water! Haven't had a cuppa all day because it smells and tastes so bad. Thought I would get an aquarium test set from the local pond shop?

I'm convinced there's water contamination now following shutting off the dishwater supply and changing kettles etc. We've also filled the kettle from different mains taps in the house and they're all the same. I think it could be over-chlorination but it's effectively the weekend now so will be asking the neighbours if they've got the same and buying some bottled water to last us for hot drinks until Monday. Off to the pub now!

I also had a look at my Water Regs book, that says domestic machines include the anti-syphon/backfeed protection and it's only needed externally for commercial and hospital machines.

When the clourine dosing at my father in laws leisure centre went wrong, it sent the water green very quickly and replacement consume costs weren't insignificant.

I'd say unless you pour bleach into your washing machine or dishwasher that the clourine is coming from the supplier.

There was a case where excess chlorine chemical was tipped into a reservoir a number of years ago.

But the water supplier should take it seriously if you make a complaint about excess chlorine.

Best to ask all the neighbours first and then take a large bottle as a sample.

I seriously wonder if a water supplier would admit a mistake if it was a one off and few people commented.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back