non-standard 13A outlets, options please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just fitting up my home office, in one corner I have built a rack cupbard to house my server and UPS.

on the outside of this cupboard, I want to put some sockets, fed via the UPS for my PC etc, probably 2 or 3 doubles. I would like to use some non-standard sockets, or at the very least some marked clearly for IT equipment only, what are my options ?

the UPS can output 13A total, up to 10A on any one of its three circuits (which are mcb protected)

Sponsored Links
There are various flavours of modified 1363 plugs/sockets available, with either non-standard earth pins, or L/N pins rotated through 90°.

Or as the UPS outputs are protected, you could use sockets which take unfused plugs, such as Schuko, CEE 7/7, BS 546 or IEC 60320-C13. Strictly speaking only the BS 546 meets the requirement for shuttered sockets.

Or you could just put regular BS 1363 sockets on there and hope you don't get too many ignorant strangers entering your home office carrying items of equipment to plug in. :rolleyes:

never thought of the 546, I already have some of those, we use them in the theatre so are easy to get hold of too.

I would use the MK non standard sockets, they are almost the defacto when doing this type of install. One socket per outlet on the UPS would be my choice.

Sponsored Links
the UPS has 3 outlet groups, each group protected by a 10A mcb, each group then has 3 IEC outlets on it. so would that be 1 outlet per IEC socket

there is no chance of overloading a single IEC, with each group being protected

the UPS is a HP R3000 XP

You could use a red socket outlet such as an MK K2747D1RED

Or, you could order custom engraved sockets from here

A question about elektrak sockets - you can push in the middle bit with a finger. Are live parts then exposed?

No, you have to push the plug in, and then quater turn it for the prongs to engage with the socket.

All the live bits are tucked out of the way to stop bored co-op employees doing them selves a mischeif.

Horrible things with tiny brittle terminals on them. Nobody seems to ask for them any more, got dozens of them in the van. They are no good with wall warts, requiring an extension to be made up.

No, you have to push the plug in, and then quater turn it for the prongs to engage with the socket.

All the live bits are tucked out of the way to stop bored co-op employees doing them selves a mischeif.
aye, knew they were a quarter turn from when IT has instructed us to reboot and isolate (just to be sure) base units before.

And I once saw a back-to-back electrak plug to bs1636 socket. Only the once though. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back