Non-technical Lighting question

lig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace a ceiling light in my living room with a row of spotlights. Everything looked very easy until I removed the exsiting fitting and saw that there are a separate set of wires running to each bulb (the fixture has two bulbs). Is it possible to attach the new fitting to one of the wires and then remove/isolate the other wire? Would I be able to safely isolate the other wire by covering each open end with insulation tape or is there another recommended approach.

Many thanks for the advice, aoplogies for the basic nature of the question.

Regards

Lig

Sponsored Links
Tape is not really good enough if it is permanent. Either a dummy ceiling rose, i.e one that keeps the wire ends apart, but feeds nowhere, or a chocblok plus choc-box (look at the TLC direct site for pictures if this makes no sense) might be soemthing one could tuck into the roof void.
Otherwise the general idea is correct. Alternatively hook the wring out to the point where they join, and discomnnect the unwanted one. It all depends on what is above.

I removed the exsiting fitting and saw that there are a separate set of wires running to each bulb (the fixture has two bulbs)

That's weird. Do you have two separate switches for these two bulbs? If they both go on and off together from the same switch then why did somebody run a separate wire to each bulb?

I think we need a more detailed description of all the wires in the old fitting.

It has just occurred to me that perhaps the wires are connected to the old fitting in the ceiling (which has been filled with only the two wires sticking out which are each attached to a bulb). The light does operate from only one switch.

I will have a look this evening and provide a more detailed explanation.

Many thanks for the responses thus far.

Sponsored Links
To avoid confusion, please note that a 'wire' means a single copper core inside a 'cable'. You must have a cable with at least two wires in it going to each bulb or they won't work - and they do!

Lighting cable normally has two insulated wires in it coloured red and black (or brown and blue in new stuff) and a third, bare wire. This bare wire is the earth wire and it is needed for some light fittings. If you don't have any earths in those two cables you'll have to dig back into the ceiling to find one. Actually, I'm quite sure you'll end up doing that anyway.

PS: Just to confuse you a wire can be multi-stranded, meaning that it has several strands of copper twisted together inside the insulation. This is still called a wire. A cable has two or more wires insulated from each other inside an outer 'sheath'.

Is there anyway to post a photo on this forum as I have taken two pics which I think would explain far better than I am able to!

Regards

Its clear to me from your description of the facts, that there is indeed a connector block hidden out of site inside the ceiling void that the wires you can see go back to.

Ideally you need to gain access to this connector as it will contain most probably the correct earth connector also.

Is there anyway to post a photo on this forum as I have taken two pics which I think would explain far better than I am able to!

So I'm not the only one having a problem with this! As far as I can see there is no way to put a picture directly onto this forum. You have to find some other website that will store your pictures on their computer (at a price?) then you insert a link in your post. I suppose you can keep the pictures on your own PC but you'll have to enable file sharing over your internet connection (which is a dangerous thing to do) and leave your PC permanently connected.

Or if its getting desparate then Email the pic to the moderator, but try and crop tightly and dont over do the resolution, to keep the size down - they will be linked in when he gets a moment, usually within a few Hrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back