not enough neutral bar

I would not of thought a new board with 3 rcbo's and room for expansion would cost much more than any other possible way of connecting a shower to what you have

Sponsored Links
I know that neutral line can be doubled with Ground one
No it can't.

and Part P?
Either use an electrician, or pay building control £200+ and provide them with whatever they require to prove the installation complies with building regulations.

All been done already:
//www.diynot.com/forums/electr...it-a-fused-box-afford-85kw-elecshower.301798/
The answer was no, and it still is. The lack of neutral terminals is just further confirmation that your existing fusebox is NOT suitable.

Please, for the safety of you and yours, use a competant electrician.
I agree totally, but don't you think it's a great pity that you have to use that phrase ("a competant electrician")?

When one talks of 'an electrician' (or 'a plumber', 'a plasterer', 'a doctor', 'a lawyer', 'an accountant' etc. etc.) the concept of 'competant' should really be implicit in that title, so the need (which I agree exists) to talk of 'a competant electrician' is a sad indictment of the industry.

Kind Regards, John

A good point, John - and sad!

I've got to get my kitchen skimmed so I'm going to have to find myself a 'Competent Plasterer' :)

Might be a good angle for a 'tongue in cheek' advertising campaign, though :-

'Incompetent Electrician - All work undertaken. No job too small. :)

A good point, John - and sad! I've got to get my kitchen skimmed so I'm going to have to find myself a 'Competent Plasterer' :)
I would suspect that it's probably much easier to find (at least, identify) a competent plasterer than a competent electrician - since the incompetence of a plasterer is much more readily identified by Joe Public than is the incompetence of an electrician, so that the latter is much more likely to remain in business (and perhaps even be recommended, if (s)he is charming, cheap and seemingly efficient, despite being incompetent!).!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, though, the word competent is used in the regulations to define someone who is 'allowed' to do certain work.

The building regulations will allow a DIYer to do work if deemed 'competent'.
It is merely a poor choice of wording as a fully qualified electrician may be classified as 'not competent' whilst no one would consider him incompetent.

Only 2 fuseways are in use.
Lectrician commented on it earlier but I don't think received an answer.

There are six blacks in the neutral bar - two in one terminal, assume a Ring.
That means five circuits so how can there be only two fuses in use and
how can there only be two used circuits in the property?

Only 2 fuseways are in use.
Lectrician commented on it earlier but I don't think received an answer.

There are six blacks in the neutral bar - two in one terminal, assume a Ring.
That means five circuits so how can there be only two fuses in use and
how can there only be two used circuits in the property?

Thank you for your reply. I've check many things, but definitely only two fuses are in use now, interestingly. It's a small flat, and there are no big unit consuming a high level of electricity. I think that's why.

Only lights and sockets; you said no oven.

Do you not have an immersion heater?

I presume all water and space heating is by gas so there isn't much else.

Only lights and sockets; you said no oven.

Do you not have an immersion heater?

I presume all water and space heating is by gas so there isn't much else.

I have an immersion heater but it's operated by gas, so yes, you're right. Heating and Hot water are by gas. I've spent very little in electricity.

To be fair, though, the word competent is used in the regulations to define someone who is 'allowed' to do certain work.
Very true - but, although I may be wrong, I suspect that is not what ricicle meant. I think it more likley that he was using the word in its everyday sense, to refer to an electrician who 'knew what he was doing'.

It is merely a poor choice of wording as a fully qualified electrician may be classified as 'not competent' whilst no one would consider him incompetent.
Under what circumstances could an electrician be 'fully qualified' (in relation to the type of work in question) but, nevertheless classified as 'not competent' to undertake the sort of work for which (s)he had been trained.

Anyway, you know what I was gettiong at! Unfortunately, as we all know, there is more than an insignificant number of 'electricians' who truly are 'incompetent'!

Kind Regards, John.

There are some fully qualified "electricians" who are incompetent, I have met at least two of them and seen incompetent work that was carried out by fully qualified "electricians".

Pass the exam, become qualified and then forget the lot and work to maximum profit. Still qualified.

Actually, that thread was the second time it had been done.

And the second time the answer had been "no".

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/about-installing-electric-shower-please-help.301080/#2198100

What sato has done each time is this:

1) Ask a question.

2) Get a load of answers he doesn't like.

3) Go back and edit the question out of his opening post.

4) A day or two later ask it again.

sato - just **** off, OK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back