Not to current standards or At Risk (No. 1 in NIC speak?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As with the bible, there are many interpretations of 7671.

I'd appreciate as many opinions as possible on this topic!!

Is no RCD on any install "not to current standards" or is it "at risk"?

I can see both arguments:

NTCS is where the install does not comply with latest edition (ie no RCD could be construed as NTCS)

AT RISK could be where the user is at risk (using eqipment outside the EZ) with no RCD to back them up.

Some people say you would note an install as NTCS if it had no RCD on equipment INSIDE the EZ, but AT RISK if stuff OUTSIDE the EZ had no RCD protection.

What say you??

Sponsored Links
i would say not to current standards if there are procedures in place and followed to ensure kit used outside the equipotential zone is protected (plug in RCDs, RCD protected extension leads, one protected socket outside or designated for use outside etc), at risk otherwise.

of course that would go against the narrow minded thinking of an inspection that only checks the fixed installation and not the use of electricity as a whole.

Sponsored Links
In everyday meanings of the terms, it's both.

With no RCD, people are are at risk, which is why the standards were improved.

Sorry, Ban, I meant is it AT RISK under our (electrician's) definition?

Yes - I realise that, but it's often helpful to step back and consider what common-sense meanings lead you to.

Is this is what happens when you add the Book of NICEIC into your theology?

If you stick to Requires Urgent Attention/Requires Improvement/Requires Further Investigation/Does Not Comply With BS7671 does it get simpler? Or is there still a debate over whether it suould be a 1 or a 2?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back