Not using red oxide primer on RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder has put up RSJ and said he will do the red oxide primer when its up. I am sure he would have needed to have done this BEFORE the RSJ goes up.

What happens if its not primed at all (I am sure he wont prime it)

Sponsored Links
Builder has put up RSJ and said he will do the red oxide primer when its up. I am sure he would have needed to have done this BEFORE the RSJ goes up.

What happens if its not primed at all (I am sure he wont prime it)

The rsj will still be up there doing its job long after your grandchildren have departed this earth.

Sponsored Links
Primer is porous. Its designed to be so that the top coat can bond with it.

Its not going to give any significant corrosion resistance.

Often see rusty rebar going into new-build. Never seems a good idea to me.

A little surface rusting doesn't affect the bond between the steel and concrete (as long as it isn't flaking off in big pieces).

Most rebar is ribbed, which also helps bond.

if you like things to be painted (I do) then you might as well do it yourself.

the rsj would take quite a long time to be affected enough to reduce its structural integrity, but painting it will make you feel better, and reduce the risk of rust stains from e.g. a leak or condensation.

the builder is doubtless talking the view that nothing will go wrong for a long time after he has moved on.

We always have our beams delivered ready primed. I prefer the look of the grey primer personally, goes better with my own greying head hair.

We do it out of professionalism and because it is specced in the drawing and is mentioned in my quotes.

However, the (un-exposed) steel we are installing now will be probably reclaimed and re-used in 300 years' time. With or without primer.

Few years back I negotiated a dilapidations claim for a large well known High Street retailer. The LLs surveyor said the steel frame was rusty and demanded it be treated. To do that would require removal of the entire external masonry envelope at a cost in the tens of £mills. I had part of the building opened up and several sections of steel cleaned to a bright surface. The gauges of the steels were indistinguishable from when they were installed. The building was built in the 20s so was about 80 years old. Even that little venture cost about twenty grand. Complete waste of time and money.

The builder primed the beam when it was up. Better than nothing.

I spoke to he plasterer and he said that's the first time he has seen this builder prime an RSJ. it was all because I asked him about priming it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back