Notch depth for 22mm pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running 22 mm copper c/h piping across 45 x 175 mm joists at 400 mm centres. The joists are across a 3.2 m void. BC were OK with using 150 mm but, belt and braces suggested I use 175. The walls of the piping insulation are 13 mm thick. Given I have a little bit more joist depth than strictly required, the question is should I cut out notches to a depth of 35 mm so that the boards just touch the top of the pipe insulation or should I cut out just 25 mm and trim the insulation tops? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks spareshunter & BigSnoopy01

I'm going to fit below the joists as it's less effort and will retain the joist integrity. I'm now going to insulate with Water Bylaw 49 - 19mm walled on 22 & 25mm on the 15 pipe.

I'll use the notching depth info for some pipe work I need to do in the upstairs bedroom. My joists there are 7 x 3s. Does this make any difference to the calculation BigSnoopy01? :)

Sponsored Links
As already mentioned, max notch depth is 1/8th of the joist depth.

Also, its frequently ignored but, there is an allowable area for notching; measuring away from the wall, between 0.07xspan and 0.25xspan. On either side of the room.

25mm holes drilled in the centre of the joist would be pragmatic: JG (or Cu with many st. conns and few wisps of felt).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back