Notching Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, Is notching through the central span of a joist totally against the rules etc. Also is the same for drilling holes as these don't weaken the joists as much.

Sponsored Links
Notches should be located no more than 1/4 of the span of the room from an end support.

Sorry miss read

You can drill holes through the middle of the joist to a maximum size of a 1/4 of the joist depth

Notches should be no more than 1/8 of the joist depth

Sponsored Links
They should be between 1/4 span and 2/5 the span of the room

I rarely see anybody including engineers/plumbers stick to these dimensions though

Thanks if notching do people tend to do one notch and run the heating and hot and cold pipes in this or two separate notches so the heat from the heating pipes doesn't effect the cold water pipe?

I don't know how many pipes you are running, but I would just run them in the order that is most convenient for you. Just make sure you run them in the centre of the board leaving enough space either to side to re fix the board.

Lay the pipes under two boards if you have to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back