NotDIY concrete slab removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a load of concrete in my garden - a former shed base 3m x 2m and a path of sorts 1m x 5m - that I want rid of. Who do I call? As in what trade would achieve this in the most efficient way? I have a quote for £1,300 from the guy who laid my patio, but it feels steep and he clearly didn't fancy the job.

My builders did a similar (larger and thicker) area with 2 blokes and a jack hammer in an afternoon as part of the ground works for my extension, but they don't fancy it either as a standalone job.

Is this demolition / groundworks / landscaping / other? I don't know where to begin looking.

Sponsored Links
Waste firm near us takes clean rubble free of charge. Skip outside their offices where you rock up and dump. Just need a trailer or van.

Days gone by I'd have stuck a job like this on MyHammer and given it to the lowest bidder. No idea where to find a casual labourer these days.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like something you could do yourself if you rent a breaker (guessing 50 for a day?) and hire a skip (more like 300 quid round here) if you have the time and are physically up to it. Though it depends on how thick the concrete is and if there's any reinforcement?

Our local builder/handyman would do this in a day with his mate for 250-300 for reference.

A days work for one man + the cost of a skip.

maybe run into 2nd day if concrete thick / distance to skip long or awkward.

£1300 is steep, should be around £700

Days gone by I'd have stuck a job like this on MyHammer and given it to the lowest bidder. No idea where to find a casual labourer these days.

I was interested in what you said here so had a look for MyHammer and it's now renamed Mybuilder.com

Also OP doesn't say how thick the concrete base is : is he expecting the hardcore base to be removed as well which could be all sorts .. broken bricks etc. This is where peoples expectations sometimes don't converge. I reckon £1300 could be more reasonable given the chap has seen the job and the OP hasn't provided any photos to get counter quotes here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back