Novel lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change a ceiling light in a new house (built 2005) to a 240V halogen spot. The light circuits are NOT conventional "loop-in" nor "junction box", rather the loop is made within the switch box, with a single cable only running from the switch to the actual ceiling rose (the ceiling rose is standard, but most contacts are unused). Whilst I can understand how it is designed, it is new to me and I can find no mention of this design in any texts/websites.

Does anybody know its name and/or where I can read-up before starting work?

Thanks

Cagey

Sponsored Links
I think theres a diagram in for reference. What do you need to know? Its all very straightforward.

basically, a single core+earth neutral will run between al lights. single core+earth will run between all switches. single core will run between switch and light, to take a sw.live to the light

have a look in for reference, last post - have just made a diagram for it

Sponsored Links
I'll carry this on here then, rather than there.

I think the cagey is far more likely to be talking about L&N looping between switches and L&N going to the light.....

Fair enough if the system you've drawn does exist, but if you've misinterpreted the description and invented something, which although it would work, has never been done, it could be confusing for people to find it in For Reference.... :confused:

guess who has it in her house..........I felt like crying when I first saw it, in fact it was due to that, that I ended up here on this board with all you lovely people :oops:

ban-all-sheds said:
I'll carry this on here then, rather than there.

I think the cagey is far more likely to be talking about L&N looping between switches and L&N going to the light.....

Fair enough if the system you've drawn does exist, but if you've misinterpreted the description and invented something, which although it would work, has never been done, it could be confusing for people to find it in For Reference.... :confused:

ive seen it done before that way. not many times, and was mostly in older houses. thats what i first though the OP ment, until i read it again, and am now thinkin he could me what you said

afaict often the earth is just run with the lives not with the neutrals as well as currently stated in for reference.

Thanks to all for very prompt responses, and apologies for giving a poor description in my initial post.

In fact the ONLY cable to each ceiling rose is one normal 3-core running from the switch. NOTHING else connectes to the rose. ALL loops are made within the switch box, using both the switch connections and connector blocks (bit of a handful in 2-gang 2-way hall/landing situation).

Whilst I can deal with it, it's new to me and I'm keen to understand why it's designed this way as well as any restrictions it involves. EG (subject to usual capacity limits) can I just add an extra mains volt halogen(s) in parallel with an original light fitting in the "usual" way?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back