Novelty / Silly current carrying capacity post

I vapoirised the side of a 600A busbar chamber once.. or rather the poor unfortunate mouse did...

took out half of the town as well as it tripped the 11KV switch that was also in the factories sub station...

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
I vapoirised the side of a 600A busbar chamber once.. or rather the poor unfortunate mouse did...

took out half of the town as well as it tripped the 11KV switch that was also in the factories sub station...

Poor discrimination !...... :LOL:

Either that or half the town had their electricity supply hooked up to the factory ;)

Sponsored Links
toasty said:
Let's start a 'my welder is bigger than yours competition'

-Dan

As long as you don't go comparing your "rod" sizes....

After the co-ax double socket post from last week, I'm going to test some coax, as I reckon that'll easily take 20amps without getting too warm.

Really?

I reckon a good coax has more copper in the braiding than in the core.

Assuming the core is 1mm^2 I think it'll start getting hot at about 50 or so amps, but won't fail until 60 or so amps. (when I say fail I mean actually melt the copper)

-Dan

But the braid is very fine strands, even if you twist it all up, further down the cable it's back to spread out braid around the entire cable.

This (I'd imagine) will cause instant problems and melt the braid at a low amp level.

You need to change your title and consider "Brainiac" :LOL:

strand size/arrangement, shouldn't really affect current carrying capactiry much if anything spreading the cores out should impove thier total capacity.

You are a bad, bad person for digging up a three-year old topic.

Here, take that
spank.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back