Now that analogue tv has gone...

We've just come back from our daughter's flat where repeats of Star Trek were playing virtually non-stop. :eek: :eek: :eek: They have Freeview but rarely watch it and I was a bit surprised to discover that they didn't have any kind of hard disc recorder. Their solution is to wait until the live broadcast has been and gone then watch it on the internet. Is this the future of TV? :?: :?: :?:

Adverts are certainly not popular viewing, are they? I think one problem is greed.

I have been watching ITV (and more recent commercial channels) almost since its conception and I am sure that commercial breaks have become longer and longer in relation to the length of the programmes that they interrupt. Moreover, the vast majority are trite, boring and very loud(!), despite the broadcasters' assertions that sound levels are maintained at constant levels.

The solutions, in my opinion, would be:

1. Reduce ad. break times. Surely, constant repeats (especially on the new 'digital' channels) cannot be expensive to source.

2. Ensure that adverts are no louder, or even less loud, than the main feature.

3. Point out to the makers and financers of adverts that something interesting or amusing is more likely to attract the attention of viewers than the bland rubbish and the 'shouty men' that we are presently subjected to.

4. Get rid of all of the new 'digital' channels. They are mostly rubbish anyway, and the income broadcasters can expect from advertising could fund one or two high quality commercial channels - like ITV used to be before the money-grabbers changed it beyond all recognition.

Sponsored Links
I think the most annoying adverts are the ones that appear about five minutes after the programme has started.

1. Reduce ad. break times. Surely, constant repeats (especially on the new 'digital' channels) cannot be expensive to source.

2. Ensure that adverts are no louder, or even less loud, than the main feature.

3. Point out to the makers and financers of adverts that something interesting or amusing is more likely to attract the attention of viewers than the bland rubbish and the 'shouty men' that we are presently subjected to.

4. Get rid of all of the new 'digital' channels. They are mostly rubbish anyway, and the income broadcasters can expect from advertising could fund one or two high quality commercial channels - like ITV used to be before the money-grabbers changed it beyond all recognition.

Ok, so.....

Surely, constant repeats (especially on the new 'digital' channels) cannot be expensive to source.

Get rid of all of the new 'digital' channels.

:LOL:

2. Adverts are not louder, they use sound compression that "seems" louder, it's all to do with how our brains sort out noise.

3. I'm sure you know better than an entire industry :rolleyes:

You are such a plum.

Sponsored Links
Back