Number of lights per circuit

Just for interest:

3% volt drop limit - with 17 lights totalling 80W equally spaced on 1mm² cable, you could have a circuit of 950 metres. :)

Sponsored Links
Just for interest: 3% volt drop limit - with 17 lights totalling 80W equally spaced on 1mm² cable, you could have a circuit of 950 metres. :)
Ah - maybe he should use 2.5mm² cable, then :)

Interestingly, if you had asked me to make a blind guess, I would probably have said something along the lines of "probably about a kilometre" - so maybe I deserve a prize!

Kind Regards, John

However, in the green OSG (don't have the latest), it still advises the following:
Current demand to be assumed for lighting outlet: Current equivalent to the connected load, with a minimum of 100W per lampholder.
It's still in the current yellow edition.
Ridiculous and really should have been deleted by now.

Sponsored Links
Since it states lamp holder, not fitting, if you have a fitting which takes 5 lamps then it would see you would need a 500W supply! So living room alone in my house needs a 1000W supply for 10 x 5W bulbs. That is clearly rather silly. However I have seen a kitchen which needed a 5A supply without considering the rest of the house where the silly MR16 spot lights made it look like a planetarium.

Where GU10L2 lamps are used, or other lamps which are designed to comply with the L2 building regulations so tungsten lamps will not physically fit then clearly there is no need to allow 100W per fitting, and even with tungsten GU10 are made as 75W but they are rare and 50W is normally the largest lamp found. But the On-Site-Guide is for electricians who are wiring a house for often an unknown owner who could put any lamp in the fitting. So it needs to allow for some of the daft things people do.

The volt drop is something again which varies according to the lamp fitted. A fluorescent or LED lamp with a HF ballast or a pulse width modulated power supply will likely work with same light output from 150 volt to 250 volt. However what can seem to be the same lamp with a magnetic ballast or a capacitor to current limit will behave very different. Fluorescent is the worst where is fails completely once the voltage drops below what is required, the LED gets gradually dimmer.

With tests I did with a fluorescent in this case a 110 volt version I found below 100 volts they can fail to strike, but at 127 volt they could use twice the power rating on the fitting. Since then I have noted the ballast can be rated 220 volt, 230 volt or 240 volt and selecting the wrong ballast can really change what power it uses, answer is to use one with a HF ballast.

The ability of the user to swap what lamp he uses is becoming a problem. I swapped a 65W fluorescent tube for a 24W LED tube and if some one was to find a 65W tube (no longer made) and was to replace the LED tube with it, then some thing would go pop unless the wiring was also returned to original.

This raises the old question, should one wire with the idea an idiot may come latter and assume without testing, or should one wire with the idea any future work should be done by an electrician who knows what he is doing? To my mind if an as built plan is left in the consumer unit then it's up to anyone in the future to read it and alter as required.

It does seem that if one admits to the LABC that you have done emergency work which needs a completion certificate under Part P that in the main they will accept an EICR done by an electrician they select and will issue the certificate. As to date I have not heard of a LABC inspector insisting that the work is re-done from scratch, although they could in theory do just that.

Since I may have been renting out my mothers house and to do that I would need all the certificates, I had to consider if DIY was really the way to go. In theory I can inspect and test my own work and issue an installation certificate, however my test gear is faulty so likely will cost £500 for new meters. I would also have to pay the LABC, so have to consider it will likely cost £1000 to DIY. It would also likely take me a month. Using a scheme member would cost more, but not that much more, and he could complete the job in a week. So even with my C&G 2391 and 2382 I still decided that using a scheme member was the best option.

Maybe I was wrong, I have had problems, but if I when I have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering considered using a scheme member was best option for a re-wire, then one really does need to question any notifiable re-wire being done by some one who does not feel he has the skill or equipment to do his own testing and inspecting. I did do one notifiable job at my mother's house, and it did take some time to convince the LABC inspector that I had the skill to inspect and test. In the main they select an electrician they trust to do the inspection and testing and you pay for their time. My son insisted that anyone doing the inspection and testing should be higher qualified than me. I don't think they had an electrical engineer on their books who could show higher qualifications to mine.

Since it states lamp holder, not fitting, if you have a fitting which takes 5 lamps then it would see you would need a 500W supply! So living room alone in my house needs a 1000W supply for 10 x 5W bulbs. That is clearly rather silly.
Quite. I'm sure I've mentioned before that the lighting I inherited in my kitchen/breakfast room consisted of 6 fittings, each with 3 BC lamp holders. Even as it was, with 25W candle bulbs in each of the lamp holders, the 450W total (actual) load was pretty ridiculous, but to have had to consider it as an 1,800W load would have been crazy!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back