NVQ level 2??

blimey thats a crap hourly rate for someone commercial. times must be hard. my mate works on the bins on £9 an hour starts at 6 sometimes finishes befor 11. still gets 40 rate a week whatever. for £12.20 an hour i might consider changing trades.

Sponsored Links
blimey thats a crap hourly rate for someone commercial. times must be hard. my mate works on the bins on £9 an hour starts at 6 sometimes finishes befor 11. still gets 40 rate a week whatever. for £12.20 an hour i might consider changing trades.

Believe me mate, the bar is now set very high skills wise and basic hourly rates have not changed since the slump in 08. We can cut our tender prices, make large profits from lower hourly rates & also employ unskilled Plumbers Mates at the national minimum wage.

would not get out of bed for that. simple as that, i will however get out of bed for £34,500 4 day week an overtime at time an a half. which i do ;)

Unfortunately because of family issues at that time I never finished my "A" levels but I got half way in Oxted School. I was studying, Biology, Chemistry, Math and Physics.

Those are ideal "A" levels for any medical or scientific career.

My advice would be that you should complete your "A" levels and consider a university degree course. You will find that difficult after 26 so you only have five years!

Graduates at 31 earn 26% more than non graduates and over a working life about £230,000 more!

Quite apart from the difficulty in getting training in plumbing there is severe difficulty in getting any jobs now and obviously those with prior experience will get those few jobs which may come up.

Tony
#

Leaving Uni after my first year and getting into this trade is without a doubt the best decision I have ever made.

A lot of my friends from Uni are way behind me career and earnings wise

Sponsored Links
would not get out of bed for that. simple as that, i will however get out of bed for £34,500 4 day week an overtime at time an a half. which i do ;)

A person I know was earning twice that building houses on a five day week. He heard what I was earning as a pipe fitter in six days and told me he wouldn't get out of bed for such a measly sum.

Now he's got no work and faces the prospect of leaving his family to find work abroad.
Never brag as the tortoises of this world have a nasty habit of catching up and beating you to the line.

I haven't fully read the thread, but in answer to an earlier question;

Can you do what Saint is doing? Yes, you can.

Saint is not actually doing his NVQ. He will have been told he is, but he actually isn't.

He's doing his Technical Certificate. Very similar, and also comes with a City&Guilds badge, but its Theoretical Knowledge Only.

The NVQ, as mentioned, is prooving knowledge via practical observations etc.

Your 'Tech Cert' isn't actually worth the paper its written on, unless accompanied with an NVQ (I think it does say that on it aswell!)

And if my memory serves me rightly; only lasts 12 months from the date of completion, unless accompanied with an NVQ registration.

Good luck though Saint, your doing the right thing scouring the internet and making yourself known. Probably more than the rest of your class.
Get down to your local merchants, pop a sign up, ask around, offer to work for your dinner or for nothing, and gain as much experience as you can.

Even doing work for family is better than nothing, but be careful. (I appeciate its bad advice, and you should be insured etc. but installing the odd garden tap is good experience imho)

Aye, but you're a tightwod Aberdonian, that has nightmares about when you got caught shoplifting in a charity shop & has an ongoing relationship with a ewe.
C'mon the Gers!!!

They'd need to pay me more than that mate to fit these Ideal piles of sh.te.

Let me make it quite clear, the Plumbing trade is in decline since the slump of 08, with 1000s of site Plumbers looking for work. There's very few Plumbers jobs available, however as I stated for guys/gals with a very high skill level with loads of practical experience & qualifications there'll always be work. If you're a CC/CCC or a site Plumber that's been house bashing for the last 20 years, head down to TESCO, they're always looking for Stock Replacement Operatives for the grave yard shift.
But good luck to you all, you'll need it!!

Co-incidentally I had a female telephone yesterday asking if we were taking on apprentices.

I said no, but took her name and number and will have a chat with her when I have a moment.

Let me make it quite clear, the Plumbing trade is in decline since the slump of 08, with 1000s of site Plumbers looking for work. There's very few Plumbers jobs available, however as I stated for guys/gals with a very high skill level with loads of practical experience & qualifications there'll always be work. If you're a CC/CCC or a site Plumber that's been house bashing for the last 20 years, head down to TESCO, they're always looking for Stock Replacement Operatives for the grave yard shift.

Absolute rubbish, i see on average 10 CV's from time serv ed plumbers on a weekly basis,most are absolutely useless and think they deservve to walk straight into a job because of an old C&G qualification that they did years ago.
Time served are no better than most CC's nowadays.

Industry would rather take in a ready trained Pole than teach our own young people anything. It's going to get mighty ugly over the next couple of decades. We've raised a generation that society no longer wants or needs. Why pay to train our own when somebody in Poland has trained them for us?

I took on a Pole for a few weeks at the beginning of the recession.

He and a mate had been made redundant from a London Polish plumbing firm where they were on £5 an hour.

Tony

im 26 and was trained by my dad when i started 10 years ago it was difficult to get an apprentiship then let alone now.

my local merchants has 100s of account holders and not including those who work for bg etc there are less than 10 of us out there under 35 and i think only 2/3 who are gassafe and noone i know of has an apprentice at the moment. if it goes on like this in 10-15 years i wont get chance to sit down ill be the only gas engineer for miles

Just bear in mind , 'experience is the best teacher' , i fail to see how a 'good' plumbing , heating & gas engineer with 25/30 years experience can be 'taught the ropes' buy a spotty face/CCs with no prior experience. :confused:

Most on here are boiler monkeys with just enough qualifications to be able to carry out their daily basis of work to deem them legal , a plumbing & heating engineer that has been properly trained in the domestic/commercial field will wipe the floor with most RGIs on here , not a rant just saying how it is. :p

Absolute rubbish, i see on average 10 CV's from time serv ed plumbers on a weekly basis,most are absolutely useless and think they deservve to walk straight into a job because of an old C&G qualification that they did years ago.

Well I'm not sure about that mate, as we'd not employ CC/CCCs. But I can only agree, the skill levels of many is very poor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back