Nylon or Fibre washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ballofix on one of my toilets is leaking a bit, the fibre washer looks worn.

In B & Q they sell nylon and fibre washers.

Which one is best to use?

Sponsored Links
Be sad like me and buy Screwfix's plumbers first aid kit - 70837.
If I was cast onto a desert island, this is what I'd take :p
Assuming there was mains water :confused:
John :)

Fibre!
Never had so many complaints about a spec change than when Conex decided to change from fibre to plastic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I guess fibre is the winner.

If I could maybe just ask a few questions just to enhance my understanding.

Why is fibre prefarable?

Why are nylon washers manufactured?

Don't use neither, or turns of PTFE either....

neoprene (or whatever it actually is) as used on Hep2o & speedfit tap connectors.

Fibre washers are a good earner for me as it happens, reckon I get called to one every fortnight or so where (usually) the joint on the bottom the closecoupled WC inlet valve has let go.

just my tow old pennies worth.

DH

Thanks, I guess fibre is the winner.

If I could maybe just ask a few questions just to enhance my understanding.

Why is fibre prefarable?

Why are nylon washers manufactured?
Fibre because as it gets wet it expands :idea: Like hemp does - before the H+S police found one microbe growing on it :rolleyes: Nylon manufd. because they can be made 1000 for 1p in China :rolleyes:

If you mean the washer between the isolating valve and the plastic spigot of the float valve,, I think nylon's too hard. It's better for brass parts.

There are two major types of fibre washer, some are hygroscopic and eventually fall apart, some are rubberised and last forever.

As DH says there are much better materials out there, and it's one of the real pains of plumbing that we have to fight using the crappiest available because that's the way everything seems to come. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back