Oak mantelpiece

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We picked up a 6ft piece of Oak wood for our fireplace, its about 8 inch by 4 inch, we have trimmed the edges and sanded it down, there are signs of wood worm and the ends are a bit crumbly.

There are no signs of any worms now, is it safe to assume they have gone? The wood has been dryed out undercover at the yard for a few years.

Do we treat the wood? I like the look of it now and I don't want to spoil the look with chemicals etc

The beam will be used as a non structural mantle mostly for decoration.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
treatment is always the best policy with woodworm, but you're better off leaving the wood somewhere dry and checking for fresh sawdust on the surface... its easy to spot and if there are any live worms in there you'll soon know.

I just treated a load of reclaimed floorboards I got and the spray I used has left a slight darkened patch to the wood, i just treated all the boards so they look the same, it doean't really notice at all more but I do have peace of mind that the little critters are all dead :)

Had a piece in my garage for 3 years, still had live w-worm, treatment did not affect appearance just a spray with a can for a few minutes.

Cheers guys, I will get some spray,

What about the finish? I like the dry matt look the boss wants to stick something on it, how have you finished your oak?

Cheers

Better to keep away from the treatments if possible. They are often
based on persistent neuro-toxins which are certainly not conducive to a long , healthy life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back