Oak wood ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2-3 years ago I had this tall oak tree in my garden cut down and left in place.

I did advertise the wood on Ebay with a starting price of £10 but did not even get one bid. Had several watching it though.

It was about 30-40 feet high and about 18-20" diameter ( not circ as a pro would say ).

Would I be better advertising it as firewood or does it still have a wood use after three years?

Should I keep it for my own firewood and cut it up with my 2000w electric chainsaw?

I have probably got a cast iron boxwood stove in my lockup garage. I dont remember the size of the inlet but the oak tree would need a bit of cutting to be small enough to enter the perhaps 10" square area.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Rough cut it into sleeper sized bits and re-advertise.

Oakwood? is that just passed Southgate?

Tony be careful with the chainsaw, did you see that bloke last week who cut his throat? :eek:

Andy

a quick google suggests that oak should be dried for at least 24 months anyway,
Oak being quite dense will take a bit of drying, 3 years it should be just about right for use now.

Sponsored Links
If it's still a complete trunk then it won't be seasoned enough for use other than as a semi green timber used often in timber framing work. Green and semi green isn't as expensive as people think plus only having in all probability one decent piece in the trunk I'd say chop it up for firewood and sell it as that , you'll have a far better return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back