obtaining part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 16th edition, just wondering what else I need to obtain part p? does every install need PAT testing? do I need to go on a PAT testing course as well as having jobs assessed? cheers for advice

Sponsored Links
PAT = Portable appliance testing, completely different to the installation wiring which Part P is concerned with ;) .

In order to self certify compliance with the building regs you will need to become a member of a self certification scheme such as NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA, BSI or ECA. Each scheme has different requirements to join.

alex28 said:
I have 16th edition, just wondering what else I need to obtain part p?

You need to slaughter an antelope with your bare hands and then drink it's blood - this should appease the Part P overlord so that he grants you entrance into the Part P circle. Then again, the Part P overlord is well known for being very tough on people who want to obtain his 'part p', and so far has not given it away to anyone, instead only allowing people to work to his rules and obtain a certificate of compliance. Most people are happy with that, I know drinking the antelopes blood was a bit much compared to the NICEIC requirements :LOL:

Well done on getting the 16th edition though, £50 really is quite a lot of money to spend on a book :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
@ the OP, I have a part P. I will post it to you on reciept of a cheque for £200 payable to Crafty1289 (deed poll not come through yet)

alex28 said:
I have 16th edition, just wondering what else I need to obtain part p? does every install need PAT testing? do I need to go on a PAT testing course

Is nobody else worried?!

Spark123 said:
In order to self certify compliance with the building regs you will need to become a member of a self certification scheme such as NAPIT, NICEIC, ELECSA, BSI or ECA. Each scheme has different requirements to join.

Hi Spark..

I have recently gained my 2381 and also the EAL Domestic Installer qualification, which is sponsered by the NICEIC, ECA etc....

My understanding was that on completion of a job whether it be minor or not i can still provide the customer with an installation certificate even though i'm not 'yet' a member of NICEIC, NAPIT etc...

My only limitation is that if it were a notifiable job, the full fee for notification applies. Is this what you mean?

Just need to get this clear in my head as i was told this was ok?

Cheers

Mike

Mikey_A said:
My understanding was that on completion of a job whether it be minor or not i can still provide the customer with an installation certificate even though i'm not 'yet' a member of NICEIC, NAPIT etc...

That is correct. You only need to be competent to fill out an EIC/MWC. They have nothing to do with Part P, any qualifications or any of the self-certification schemes but it is a requirement of BS7671.

Mikey_A said:
My only limitation is that if it were a notifiable job, the full fee for notification applies. Is this what you mean?

Again that is true. If you are not a member of a self-certification scheme you can not self-certify and need to go through the BCO route. If you are competent to fill out an EIC/MWC then you should do so, even if the BCO are inspecting the work.

I think Davy pretty well covered it, the reply I gave was for self certification which is generally what I thought the OP was about.
If you are not a member of a competent person scheme then you will need to notify any notifiable works via the LABC (local area building control) route which is only imo really a financial option if you don't do much notifiable work.
One important factor if you are not self certifying is unless it is an emergency, somebody needs to have notified LABC and paid their fee before the work starts. The LABC can then oversee compliance with the building regs. In the case of an emergency it should be notified as soon as possible.

Tim 77 said:
alex28 said:
I have 16th edition, just wondering what else I need to obtain part p? does every install need PAT testing? do I need to go on a PAT testing course
Is nobody else worried?!
Not worried - scared sh*tless. PAT testing?! :rolleyes:

You just made me think in a different light, maybe he means inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations before being put into service as required by Part 7 of the IEE regs?
Maybe a terminology error but yes, if he did actually mean PAT testing an electrical installation, scary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back