obtaining self certification status

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone please advise? I have for a number of years worked on kitchens, bathrooms and small building projects and up to the introduction of part P of the building regulations carried out the necessary electrical works myself. from the introduction part P I have used a friendly electrician who has insisted on inspecting design and instalation of 1st fix and testing on completion befor issuing cert. My electrician has now moved area and other sparks are of course and quite rightly so reluctant to certify work they have not carried out themselves,therefor I have decided to try and gain self certification status myself. I have two questions I hope you can help with. Firstly I have purchased a Megger MFT 1502/2 multifunction tester with 10 months callibration remaining and looked on the avo site without much joy so does anyone know of a dvd I can buy or a download site I can get step by step,walk me through it info. in the use of this particular instrument.I will of course get a copy of current regs and on site guide to find correct readings and best practice information. Seondly what is the quickest way to obtain the necessary criteria to be accepted by a body NICEIC/Corgi etc so that I can obtain self certification status. Sorry for the rather lenthy post . Kind regards Wes

Sponsored Links
The quickest way is the EAL Domestic Installer NVQ - 5 days, either crammed into 5 days, or spread over 10-12 evenings at college (the latter is much more realistic, and cheaper than a commercial 5-day course).

Check if this is enough for the scheme of your choice.

It won't teach you much though - if you're not competent at the start you won't be at the end, even though you'll probably pass.

And it won't do much at all regarding testing - GN3, Scaddan & the NICEIC guide will be very useful. You'll have to show an understanding of testing as part of your scheme assessment.

Re your Megger - have you tried phoning them to see if you can get a manual? You really need to be at the stage of knowing exactly what to test, when and why, and what the tests do, and how, and then see how to do that with your tester. You can't learn a sound foundation of testing by reading the manual, any more than you can learn to drive by reading your car's owner's handbook....

Megger have the instructions for this MFT on their web site as a PDF file to download. This meter is in my opinion better than Fluke so you have bought a good 1. Make a mock up test board to practise on at home and read the books that BAN recommended, the EAL courses are not the best but will give the nesessary instructions to pass. Not ideal but I don't make the rules. Just read and practise and it will click into place whilst on the EAL course.

Sponsored Links
thanks B.A.S & Jackc will follow your line of advice. I appreciate that a 5 day course will not make me an electrician but at least I will be legal and more importantly on the relativly simple works I undertake I will feel more confident after testing that the work I have carried out is safe
kind regards Wes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back