occasional heavy knocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thorn Appolo boiler system with cylinder and 3way valve. After Ch has been on for a while, occasionaly get heavy knocking when boiler fires up. Preliminary checks have found that this is caused by the pump not starting till the boiler has been firing for a while. Am I right in suspecting the 3 way valve?

Sponsored Links
pump should be wired through the boiler

if the boiler is firing ok but pumps not running

fault is prob in the boiler

which apollo is it :?:

pump should be wired through the boiler

if the boiler is firing ok but pumps not running

fault is prob in the boiler

which apollo is it :?:

Thanks for your interest. Boiler is 20 year old Apollo 30/50B. The problem is intermittent but alarmingly loud, it usualy occurs after the heating has been on for an hour or so. the stat will demand heat, the boiler will fire but the pump will not, boiler will vent to expansion tank (hammering) then things will return to normal for a while

Sponsored Links
right try i assume you know how to use it ;)

try belling the stats first

intermittent is a PITA BTW

dunno why but something is picking at me pump overrun stat :idea:

if you want the mi's put a e mail in your profile

or try partsarena

Thanks a bunch for everything, sorry about the rule thing. Will commence fixing tomorrow. So its goodnight from my home town Washington (the original) UK
Good fortune Bill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back