ocean combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick thing need to ask.my ocean combi boiler is about 9 years old and just had it serviced about three weeks ago pressure is down when system is off and now it keeps clicking on and off all the time it heated the radiators up quite a lot in one day what shall i do
1974 lynne :(

Sponsored Links
Could be that service engineer opened pressure release valve to test it and it hasn't re-seated correctly. Quite common. Is it dripping from PRV pipe ouside?

I suggest you call service chap back to inspect.

gas4you said:
Could be that service engineer opened pressure release valve to test it and it hasn't re-seated correctly.

He should have known better!

Even Vokera tell you in the front of their MI that the PRV should never be used to drain the boiler.

Call him back as its his fault ( if its dripping from the vent outside that is).

Tony

Sponsored Links
at an annual service all safety devices should be checked including the prv for operation. That is what I meant, not did he drain the system using it, as you rightly point out is not supposed to happen Tony.

I have told my partner to call him back out as i have not got a clue what i am looking for.plus it is his mate that looked at it in the first place
Thanks lads will let you know what went on :)
1974 lynne

gas4you said:
at an annual service all safety devices should be checked including the prv for operation.

Thats easier said than done!

Even lifting the PRV for a second to ensure its not stuck can result in it leaking! Many prefer to leave it alone if its correctly connected to the outside and looks in good condition.

Overheat stats are even more probablematic. Apart from visually checking that they are in position and connected few would overheat the boiler to confirm that they do open as that can precipitate other faults.

Unless you like call-backs many of these things are just visually checked.

I did once see a 3 Bar PRV stay tightly closed as the pressure rose above 6 Bar until the EV leaked and relieved the pressure!

Tony

Luckily i've only had 2 call backs so far, strangley both Alphas :rolleyes:

Agile said:
gas4you said:
Could be that service engineer opened pressure release valve to test it and it hasn't re-seated correctly.

He should have known better!

Even Vokera tell you in the front of their MI that the PRV should never be used to drain the boiler.

Call him back as its his fault ( if its dripping from the vent outside that is).

Tony

I know we have had this row before but I agree with GAS Agile

if A PRV is present you MUST test it, if it leaks it MUST be replaced

what would happen if the bleedin thing didnt open????

I check All sealed systems PRV just like an unvented cylinder

Devils advocate here!

How can you be sure that by just turning a PRV and getting water out of the vent that it will really lift at 3 bar???

The only secure way to test it is to over pressurise it !!!!!!!

And that risks bursting radiators!!!

I went to a problem boiler where someone previously had just changed the head of the PRV and as it was a different make it was no longer lifting at the original pressure!!!

Tony

see it must be true agile MY dad says so ;)

and he is bigger than your dad so think on

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back