Odd noise when boiler first starts up

C

Classic40

Hi,

I have recently drained my system down to add a new expansion vessel, I refilled and added cleanser (I have got inhibitor ready to add, just wanted to give it a bit of a clean).

I am planning to drain the system down at the weekend and adding inhibitor.

It's been making a really odd noise when powered up (Only lasts for around 10 seconds max) like air is trapped in the system.

I have vented all of the rads, the high points in the system with manual vents and the auto air vent is working correctly also.

The only other thing I can think to try is the pump, however it's not got a screw on it, its got what looks like a black plastic cover;

View media item 73911
I will try and get a small video clip with the noise later on today.

EDIT; Forgot to say the boiler is an Ideal Classic FF340 with System Kit fitted on the top.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Under the plastic cover is a hex nut. Pull the plastic cover off undo the hex nut, pull it out and you will engage the motor shaft. You will get a dribble of water out so have a towel ready underneath the pump. Make sure your system pressure is correct.

Hi,

I just removed the bolt (It came out about an inch) but no water came out.

System is pressured at 1 bar cold and goes to nearly 1.5 bar when its been on for hours.

View media item 73919

I guess the pump is blocked up causing the noise if no water comes out when I unscrew the bolt?

Replacement head can be bought for around £41 so it's not too bad if this is the case.

Sponsored Links
Pull the "bolt" as you call it out without the black cap on and run the boiler if the pump is running the "bolt" will spin

Pull the "bolt" as you call it out without the black cap on and run the boiler if the pump is running the "bolt" will spin

The bolt won't come out, it just spins around. The pump is working and the system is getting nice and hot, just the noise when it first powers up seems to be the only issue.

Those bolts dont come out. You dont need to take plastic cover off.

You very rarely get any water out of them.

Tony

The bolt won't come out, it just spins around. The pump is working and the system is getting nice and hot, just the noise when it first powers up seems to be the only issue.

I didnt mean pull it completely out, pulling it a little bit engages the shaft so you can manually rotate it in case it is jammed, if your heating is working then there is nothing wrong with your pump

To ensure this Ideal pump is free to rotate:-

i. Unscrew the central cap.
ii. Gently pull the cap out to engage with the shaft.
iii. Rotate the cap and spindle.

To vent this pump:-
repeat steps i, and ii, move the fitting from side to side to allow any air to vent, ensure the cap is fully tightened after venting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back