odd PVCu questions to prepare me for quote hunt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start looking for quotes for pvc double glazing, to replace existing aluminium double glazing.
Half of the house has been done already, and a quarter of that was really poor work, so as well the learning from these mistakes, I'd like a bit of extra expert advice to arm myself with.
I've bookmarked, cut and pasted so much from this board already, but I've a few specific questions:

On a French door, and a tiny (aprox 50x60 cm) toilet window, there are original architraves/window boards that I'd like to keep- is this possible?

Below all of the windows outside, there are stone windowsills. On loads other houses I see pvcu window sills placed on top of the stone (sometimes directly on the masonry and sometimes above an ugly inch or so gap), but my previous double glazers didn't use them on the windows I've had done. I really don't want the pvc window sills outside- is this ok practice?

Again on other houses I have seen that the pvcu windows are not always the complete height of the window area, and there is a gap about an inch from brick to the edge of the window frame. I'd hate to have this gap- is there any reason why I should?

looking forward to any responses cheers!

P.S I realise that pvcu is something to be ashamed of here, and I do actually dream about wood sash windows, but in reality it isn't a current possibility.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Keeping your window boards shouldn't be a problem, don't know about your architraves though without seeing the job.

The reason for the large gaps that you see is basically down to poor measuring.

There is nothing wrong with fitting with a cill or without on a stone cill. Personally I prefer to use a stub cill, just gives a slightly better weather protection.

Sponsored Links
Wood grows on trees instead of being based on the finite petroleum resources. There are health hazards for human and other lifeforms associated with all stages of the use of chlorinated plastics. Timber windows last longer. They are easier to repair. At the ultimate end of their useful life they make good compost not toxic waste. Timber is stronger and lends itself to more design possibilities. And it looks nicer.

There's a nice pdf leaflet called 'A guide to residents on alternatives to uPVC windows' from Hastoe Housing Association at:

http://www.sustainablehomes.co.uk/pdf/WINDOWS.pdf

Peyes0;

There is absolutely nothing wrong with UPVC windows so don’t apologise for thinking of buying them & don’t get drawn into the ‘wood is best’ argument that seems to rear up on here all too frequently! I totally disagree with the view that wood is best (it's also so bl**dy expensive) but I would agree that fitting UPVC to a property they really don’t suit would amount to sacrilege; it’s horses for courses.

I went out to a property yesterday to replace Euro cylinders on 3 UPVC doors. The property was vacant, up for sale, and had been visited by the wicked central heating fairy - rads and boiler nicked. The estate agent wanted the locks changing as they were not sure how many keys were in circulation.

After I'd changed the locks, I took a quick look around to make sure all the windows were locked, and then realised the beading on the rear window had been removed - obviously to take the window pane out to gain entry. They had even tried to put the beading back in to cover their racks!

Moral of story - make sure the supplier fits the beading to the inside.

Forest Grump said:
Enlighten me then, how is timber Sooo much better in Sooo many ways?
Upvc door & windows are easy to break into than wood, even some insurance companies are not keen on them :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back