Odd substance in header tank.

As long as you washed your hands before eating your sarnies you should be fine I use some gloves to clean them out and try to avoid splashing my face, but I think the all over disposable suit is a bit overkill, overalls just go in the wash as normal. Even if it "is life but not as we know it" just keep going boldly forward!

Sponsored Links
drain the tank and give it a good clean.

don't let it drain into the heating system, bale it out into a bucket.

As yours is so difficult to access, you might even undo the pipe, and lift the tank down when empty.

I'm actually wondering whether to replace the tank altogether.

No idea how much these things cost, but having seen what can breed inside them it doesn't seem like a bad option, and probably no more hassle than scrubbing out the old one.

Edit: maybe not. Just had a quick look online and putting "central heating header tank" into a search engine brings up a bewildering array of tanks of different sizes, and no doubt different fittings. Unless the idea is to open up the connections yourself, of course.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. The Screwfix version appears to come with all fittings, so I'll almost certainly go for that.

One for when the weather gets a little bit better, I reckon. Too cold to spend too much time up there right now.

Edit: what's a "Part 2 ball valve" when its at home? Does that specification differentiate it from a toilet cistern valve?

see the little plastic bridge on the top

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-float-valve-part-2/27627
it is designed so that the outlet from the valve does not dip into the water. This prevents dirty tank water being able to flow or be sucked into the pipe as can happen under some circumstances with some other valves. Some valves may have tubes or other arrangements touching the water to reduce noise and splashing.

the brass Pegler I show is particularly good quality.

As you can see it is rather large and would not fit in many modern toilet cisterns.

Thanks once more, John.

I've learned a few things during the course of this thread. First I've learned some stuff about my heating system, and secondly, I've learned that there are millions of little monsters in a tank in my loft. I intend to make them homeless sometime soon.

As it comes with a lid, a diy tip for the expansion pipe;
Cut a plastic pop bottle in half.
The the lid, make a hole so the bottle neck just goes through this hole.
Make a hole in the cap as big as possible.
Push pop bottle DIY funnel through lid hole and hold in place with "holed bottle cap"
Direct expansion pipe into "pop bottle funnel"
BluePeter1979ish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back