Odd whooshing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few weeks we have noticed a random 'whooshing' noise that happens a number of times each day, and sounds like it may be coming from the boiler; however, we can't be sure. Everything seems to be working fine. The noise is only for a couple of seconds, and sort of sounds like the noise you get just as your cistern has finished filling up. It's hard to identify where it is definitely coming from as the times it does seem so random. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I used to get that in my central heating system and I suspected it was air percolating around the system. I fitted a Spirovent air separator and it’s been completely silent ever since.

I forgot to add, that the boiler is an Ideal Logic Heat H18 2016, and was installed around 18 months ago.

It's maybe the sudden sound of the water flowing when circulating the pump first starts up. Try listening for the noise, when you deliberately trigger the heating or hot water.

Sponsored Links
It will just be your pump kicking as HW kicks in nothing to worry about

It will just be your pump kicking as HW kicks in nothing to worry about
I don't believe it's that as I know that sound. I assumed it may be boiler related as we didn't use to get it when we had our old boiler, and although I can't say for certain, my wife is adamant that when she hears it when sitting in bed, it comes from the boiler which is in the garage directly below her.

I don't believe it's that as I know that sound. I assumed it may be boiler related as we didn't use to get it when we had our old boiler, and although I can't say for certain, my wife is adamant that when she hears it when sitting in bed, it comes from the boiler which is in the garage directly below her.

Different boilers, will make different noises. As said, you need to determine when the noise occurs and what the boiler/heating system is doing when the noise occurs.

yep different boilers making different sounds ,
Is she still hearing it when it should be off then it could be a faulty motorised valve or frost stat with it being in garage

Reactions: CBW
Are you able to electrically isolate the system overnight to ascertain if it’s still occurring then?

Are you able to electrically isolate the system overnight to ascertain if it’s still occurring then?
Should be able to, there is a mains switch next to it that feeds it. Cheers.

Reactions: CBW
Well after testing for a while I don't think it's that. We have three toilets, on each, I flushed and then marked a line at the water level when they had filled. A few hours later I checked the water levels, and the same. Then later when we heard the noise, I checked again and all still had the same levels. It definitely sounds like a brief rush of water, as I have also noticed that if I am in the lounge and my wife briefly uses the tap in the en-suite which is directly above, you get the same/similar sound. Because it might only happen two or three times each day, it's hard to be 100% where the noise is coming from although we do have the water tank in the roofspace, the en-suite, and the boiler in the garage all roughly below each other from top to bottom, and that seems to be the area of the house that it comes from.

Is this a detached, semi, or etc.? The reason I ask is that mine is a semi and the past two evenings I have heard a loud thump, loud enough to get me up from my seat in the living room and tour the house looking to see if anything was amiss. Nothing was, so my assumption was the thump was from next door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back